Here's a plan...

Conker

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zero divided by anything is zero.
  • Anything divided by itself is one.
  • Anything divided by zero is considered to be positive or negative infinity (i.e. a vertical asymptote as seen in the function f(x) = 1/x)

Ergo, the expression 0/0, the indeterminate, equals zero, one, and positive and negative infinity.

I fail to see the world-breaking quality of such an expression.

• Anything divided by zero is considered to be positive or negative infinity (i.e. a vertical asymptote as seen in the function f(x) = 1/x)
Ergo, the expression 0/0, the indeterminate, equals zero, one, and positive and negative infinity.

I fail to see the world-breaking quality of such an expression.

Zero divided by itself isnt one. :)

public static void CalculateAspect(ref int X, ref int Y, ref int Width, ref int Height, int SrcWidth, int SrcHeight)
{
	int OrgWidth = Width;
	int OrgHeight = Height;

Height = Width * SrcHeight / SrcWidth;
	if (Height > OrgHeight)
	{
		Height = OrgHeight;
		Width = Height * SrcWidth / SrcHeight;
	};

X = (OrgWidth - Width) / 2;
	Y = (OrgHeight - Height) / 2;
}

...that can cause division by zero exceptions if SrcWidth or SrcHeight are zero! Ergo: add sanity checks and exception handling!

Of course a calculator can't evaluate it...

That doesn't conflict with my postulation. Positive and negative infinity include every possible number that a in that example could be. Analytically, anything divided by zero (including zero itself) is undefined, but following mathematical theorems and by using calculus, you can come up with the answers I provided. Because the theorems I call upon are not stated to be exclusive of the indeterminate case, the math is still technically sound.

You speak of extremely copious deceits that I have invoked upon the community. Also, Naxy is awesometastic beyond all measure.

This has been an altered post, brought to you by Ultimate Supreme Executive Chairman Master Boss-Chief Emperor Kaiser Sir Naxylldritt the Great.

This was sent from a magical space satellite in the Andromeda Galaxy. Hurr.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.