Sketchup: Proper tetxure resolution?

Lishy

Question

Hey guys. What is the proper texture resolution in Sketchup?

For 32x32 sized textures the default resolution is 1', 1' when adding a texture. And the 64x64 water temple tiles on floors and walls? I am certain they are not 1' because they are much smaller than Link's model in sketchup.

Additionally, what size in the model am I supposed to make the different sized doors? And what size do I make ladders?

Additionally, in order to make water in a map, do I need to model it in sketchup too?

12 answers to this question

You should have two models, one for collision, and one for mesh. In the mesh model, you'd put all the extra details, like water, high poly rocks, trees, ect., then in the collision one, you'd put say, a box around them, or a low poly version of the model to cover it. For water, you would not put anything in the collision file, as you want it to have no collision. If you'd like to know the sizes for doors, ladders, or other things, look at the link provided here: http://sites.google....oc/modelpresets

As for texture sizes and such, what I usually do is simple: use the texture positioning function, or use projected textures. How you use them is simple, after putting a texture on a face, you right-click on it, then go to "Texture" and "Position." From here on, it's simply editing it to fit the face you want. Sometimes, you may come to having a curved surface, or something such a a rock face, and you'll notice that texturing it normally will not work, and the textures won't line up properly. What you do here is simple, use a projected texture! To use a projected texture, put the texture you want onto a square face, right-click, then go to "Texture" and select "Projected." You now have a projected texture, but what do you do with it? Now, assuming you have a face that is vertically alighted on the blue axis, and the thing you want to add the projected texture to is on the same axis, you can put the texture on the face, it it will be perfectly aligned on all parts of the textured face.

The way the projected texture function works is, it projects a texture onto another face like a projector onto a wall. The face you are putting the original texture on, and projecting from, needs to be parallel to the face you are texturing, otherwise it won't work correctly. I'm pretty sure this isn't all that easy to understand with the way I'm explaning it, but I'm kinda hoping someone will come in and explain it better. I hope this will help you in some way, though.

Okami basically put it as best as I could. Projected textures are one of my favorite texture mapping tools in SketchUp as it allows you to easily and quickly texture complex, detailed objects with perfect precision. Be careful using it, though, as it's possible the textures can look highly unrealistic on objects with faces that essentially complete a 360 degree rotation--the ones perpendicular to your source of projection will looks they are colored by a gradient than properly textured.

I was more specifically asking if to make, say, the water temple textures 10' for example, in order to make them consistent with their intended size in OoT.

Right now I'm using 10', 10' for Water Temple tiles.

Posted Image

Also, how exactly do I make light effects? i.e. Temple of Time lights. Right now I have a gradient at the door, but it couldn't possibly be that simple?

I usually use a cube to texture things, it seems to work out, if you're willing to spend a little extra time. For lights, you'd do the same thing as I said with water. For me, Sharp Ocarina seems to dislike all of the light textures in OoT though, so you may want to use an actor from the Temple of Time.

I'm confused about the doorway. 60 wide, 100 high, 20 deep. In sketchup, do I literally type in 20" for measurement when making its depth?

Also, how large should the texture be?

Posted Image

As you can see, it really isn't the correct size :) While I'm sure it's also positioned incorrectly, the texture's size just doesn't look right. The texture uses 16x32 sizing, so in theory it SHOULD fit to the size of the door.

Additionally, is it even the correct proportions? I thought adult link's height is about the same as a normal door? This looks much different.E

Edit: Additionally, what texture do I use for the "side" of the door?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.