Pokemon

Fiction

I had "dropped out" I guess around the time Ruby/Sapphire or FireRed/LeafGreen were released in Europe, only playing Pokemon de Panepon (Puzzle Challenge) for GBC from time to time, not caring much about it all anymore for several years.

Then they announced HeartGold and SoulSilver. And they got me. Hard. I preordered SoulSilver (because, Lugia! <3) as soon as I could, got it on release day as soon as I could. Also, honestly? Hearing, say, Violet's or Ecruteak's remade music for the first time, I couldn't help but get teary-eyed.

Since then, I played over 260 hours of SoulSilver and nearly completed the Pokedex (479 out of 493), I got both Black and White with some 90+ hours on White as well (if not more), I got several older games as well (Sapphire, Pearl, Stadium and a Japanese Silver), and I'm curious if Pokemon + Nobunaga comes to the West, as well as what Black and White 2 are gonna bring.

I'm in the same boat as you guys, but I stuck around until FireRed; after the nostalgia factor from that game I just stopped seeing the hype. Then I saw I could experience it again with SoulSilver, so of course I jumped right back on the wagon and played my heart out to that game (haven't even had it a year and already packed 150+ hours into it). I didn't get Black and White, though, because 1) no nostalgia which is mainly what I play for now and 2) the Pokemon lineup I saw was, IMNSHO, stupid. When I saw they had an ice cream cone for a Pokemon, I decided they'd finally run out of ideas and just kept enjoying SoulSilver.

I got black and the story is fantastic but the Pokémon designs really have gone downhill, I know its mostly the same designer who made the original 150 but maybe they need some fresh blood to help him out. I think the Goth Pokémon was the worst. but then again all of the green/red Pokémon where not good either until they fixed it in blue and then a second time in yellow. Then again theres a difference from a bad sprite and a just overall bad design

There's some good ones in Generation 5 in my opinion, at least Galvantula, Gigalith, Swadloon, Carracosta and Druddigon (and I had to look those names up, I know them as Voltula, Brockoloss, Folikon, Karippas and Shardrago). Admittedly, you could call them retakes of previous designs - to mind come Spinarak/Ariados, a less round Graveler, several small Bug- or Grass-types, maybe a bit of Lapras and Kyogre, and I guess Aerodactyl and Salamence? - but they're still well-done.

Others, tho... yeah, the ice cream cone is a pretty good negative example. That's really a "what were they thinking?" moment.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.