What do you guys think of Ubuntu?

Oowoon

Absolutely worth trying it out, at the very least. I had a really old (~11 years outdated or so) box which I got a dual-boot for Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10 on, and the speed boost from doing that switch was phenomenal, to say the least. It has much greater customization options, a cleaner interface (in my opinion), and hosts a great deal of awesome open-source applications from their repository. Plus, for those transitioning from the world of Windows and executables, you can still utilize those files using Wine, a program which emulates Windows binaries in the Linux environment. And if it turns out you don't like it, you can always switch back to Windows and clear the partition of your hard drive Ubuntu was devoted to.

Guest medli

I agree with what Naxy said as well, Ubuntu was the first distro I tried and it's become even easier to use since then. It's well worth checking out, and it's not hard to get rid of if you decide it's not for you.

As there is different people there is also different feels/versions of the OS, I personally run Linux Mint 12 with Gnome and I love it, but I think Ubuntu would be a good starting place to get the feel of things.

Ubuntu running with Gnome is a pretty solid choice for starters. I personally find KDE to be a bit more sophisticated and practical (I just love the multifunctional nature of Konqerer, mainly), so it's worth considering both environments. If you want a flavor of Ubuntu centered around KDE's features, look up Kubuntu.

Guest medli

Keep in mind that by default, you'll get Ubuntu with the Unity desktop evironment. It's okay, but not for everyone, so I'd suggest if you don't like it to give another desktop environment (like KDE, Gnome or even XFCE) a try

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.