The Forgotten Side of a Coin

Tell-Tale Heart

As I woke, I felt someone near. I sat up in horror as I stared at my unfamiliar surroundings, with a strange black-haired, pale man telling me to calm down.

"Here, you've been unconscious for quite awhile. You must be thirsty." I shook my head away from the drink. "Where have you brought me?!" I demanded.

"Are you so sure I brought you anywhere?" he muttered.

As I thought of where I was supposed to be, I realized I couldn't even be sure of who I was supposed to be.

--- ---

I only have a year of memories. Only a year of emotions. I work with Resen, the first person I ever remember seeing. With all the crime people get away with now, there are those of us hired to punish them. We aren't your guards or legal force, we are called assassins by those not well informed. Those well informed simply stay well away from us.

--- ---

"By order of the King, all women of age 18 will be brought to Eidlen. If any resistance is...."

"Resen, what's going on?" I said, balancing on top of a roof. He simply shook his head. Quiet, and focused, he rarely bothered with my questions. Even though we seem to be the same age, we're almost opposites.

"I'll tell you what's going on," whispered Renai, a not so quiet boy of 15. He was more a thief than an assassin, which was useful if the target wasn't ordered to be killed by the client. At least he enjoyed my inquisitiveness. "This one Noble's wife went missing recently, and I guess she's 18, so he's gonna find her, at the expense of everyone else. That's a Noble for you, not so-"

"Enough! The target! Had I not been watching, our mission would be left until tomorrow. Come fast and quietly, this way."

We glanced embarrassingly to the other, and followed, like cats, on the rooftops.

If you plan to continue this story, then I'll just lock it for now. PM me or another admin whenever you get the chance letting me know when you'd like this topic to be unlocked. If you don't want to continue it and really want it permanently deleted, same thing, just PM an admin requesting permanent deletion.

By the by, I like your character artwork--she's very well drawn and has an interesting clothing style.