Consoles are covered, so what's your first computer?

xdaniel

Seeing how consoles are covered in another thread, I was wondering what everyone's first computer was? Either the first one you owned, or the first one you used, say a family PC or whatever?

Disregarding the Commodores, my first "Wintel" PC was a former server of some kind I got from a local computer store, maybe for my birthday, somewhere around 1997 or so. And I remember most of the system specs to this day - what a geek I am, huh? You don't need to list them off if you don't know or remember them, don't worry :)

• Am486 DX2-50, 50 MHz
  • 20 or 24 MB RAM
  • Some VGA video card with 256 or 512 KB RAM, probably by Western Digital or Cirrus Logic
  • 2x 800 MB IBM SCSI 5 1/4" full-height hard disks (one as high as two CD-ROM drives stacked)
  • Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI controller (there was also a 1542CF, but I think I only got one of those by chance much later)
  • No CD-ROM drive, got a 32x Teac SCSI drive a year or so later
  • Everything in an AT big tower with a huge power supply
  • Some 13" or 14" VGA monitor
  • Some AT keyboard and serial mouse
  • MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11
  • SimCity 2000 <3
I wish I could find a picture of those specific hard disks, but you can find some of similar ones if you google for "hard disk full-height" or something.
  • Like 1

First computer I ever handled was one my dad built himself, called Percy, way back in 1998 when I was four. The specs were pretty good for a computer at that time--I think about 64 MB of RAM, Pentium II processor, and I'd guess 256 MB of disk space, running Windows 98. The first one I ever essentially owned was one I built at around ten years old from spare parts my dad brought home from work, and upgraded over time with newer hardware he could salvage or with parts from Amazon. At its finest, Apollo had about 1 GB of RAM, 290 GB of disk space (dual-drive configuration), a Pentium IV processor around 2.0 GHz, with a dual-boot for XP and Ubuntu 9.10.

• Like 1

My first computer ever owned was this:

Posted Image

Afterwards I owned this:

Posted Image

The specs of this computer, courtesy of the computers box, were:

• Intel 100MHz Pentium Processor
  • 1.2 GM (1,200MB) Hard Disk Drive
  • Quad Speed CD-ROM Drive Multi-session, PhotoCD and XA-compatible
  • 16MB of RAM, upgradeable to 72MB
  • Complete Sound System featuring 16-bit SRS 3D Amphitheater Stereo Sound and Integrated Speakers
  • 1MB of Video Memory standard, upgradeable to 2MB
  • Video resolution output up to 1280x1024, monitor dependent
  • MPEG 1: Full Motion Video Playback
  • 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
  • 14,400bps Fax/Modem installed
  • Telephone Answering System with Full-Duplex Speakerphone
  • Keyboard with Fast Media access and 2-button mouse
  • Upgradeable to a faster Pentium OverDrive Processor
  • PCI Local Bus Video fro faster display & PCI Local Bus IDE Hard Drive Interface
  • Exceeds MPC Level 2 Multimedia specification
  • Ports include: Serial, Parallel port with Extended Capabilites (ECP), mouse, game, keyboard, and VGA
  • 5 expansion slots (supports 2 PCI, 1 Shared (PCI/ISA) and 2 ISA) and 5 Storage Device Bays
  • Like 1

My first computer ever owned was this:

Posted Image

Oh yes, fond memories <3

I actually don't remember, but it was pre-Windows. Ah, the old DOS days, when people weren't all scared of command lines.

It doesn't help that, starting with Windows 95, the system started right into Windows instead of having to start it manually...

C:\>cd sc2000

C:\SC2000\>sc2000

DOS4GW Extender (blahblah)

I rarely even used the win command :)

• Like 1

Macintosh Plus. Bought it from my school when they replaced a bunch of computers with new ones. Helped make duplicates of the software needed to run the older Apple IIEs, so I got a SCSI hard drive for doing that. On said hard drive was a program called Go-Go Clock. Displayed an analogue clock, and whenever the second hand reached 12, it played a short greyscale animation of a semi-nude Go-Go dancer. Fun times.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.