Zelda 64 Restoration

LEepicPOULET

Howdy, I am restarting all devevlopement of the Beta restoration because I have made so many horrible mistakes in my old one, due to not having enough kcnolage on Ocarina of Time hacking. Overall, it was a bloody mess. So that's why I decided to restart the entire thing. The reason why I am making this new thred is because the last one was a mess as well and I just want to forget about it.

So anywho, my goal is to sort-of re-build the original build of ocarina of time in my own style.

It will include: Cut areas, revamped old areas (Castle town, for example), and new entirely (i'm thinking Snowhead!)

New models to better represent the beta

New dungeons and SOME changed old ones

I could go on for a while

Also, part of the fail of my first attempt was lack of updates, so I will actually show developement to keep people happy! And I something to show right now (note, this area is not finished)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is just one of the many sections of castle town. When it is done, the size will be comparing with clock town.

Well that is all for now.

• Like 4

Maps of towns are always my favorite and I love seeing new work. If I may, I'd like to point out a couple things that might end up being problematic down the line for your project.

First, take note of how some of your faces are white while others are a pale blue. The pale blue faces are actually the reverse side of the polygons, which means that when you import them, they won't show up for mesh, or in the case of collision, it will only take effect on the opposite of your intended side (most likely). So, what you want to do is make sure that the white side of polygons (the front) are facing the direction of the area the player will be in. To reverse faces, just right-click and select Reverse Faces. Also, I just noticed Jason beat me to it--too lazy to delete this part of the post. :V

The other thing I notice is that you've elected to fully build your guardrail for the upper balcony on the Bombchu bowling alley. While this may end up being fine, you may eventually run into the problem of excess geometry for your mesh, which can cause quite a bit of lag. Don't forget that you can often use textures with transparency to simulate more complex geometry much like the game does with fences, and I heartily recommend you take advantage of this. In a similar vein, you can also probably axe quite a bit of the polygons which make up the slant side of roofs that are outside the map. Try to build in the mindset of "if you can't see it, it shouldn't be there." That will help you cut down your map's polygon count considerably, which opens up a project to more people by avoiding lag.

With that said, best of luck to you and your project, looking forward to seeing how it comes along. :)

Oh no D:

I'm really sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, I know how frustrating that kind of thing is and hope you can get a new computer soon.

Well, I got my computer fixed, the only thing is, the fixer said that my computer could last anywhere from one day to thirty years, so using it right now is quite stressfull.

EDIT: Well, it died on me, but I have diagnosed the problem: Broken video card.

So, it looks like I won't be having a computer for a while.

Now I have just a bit of input, you are saying this is a Zelda 64 restoration(Correct me if I am wrong), but the town you got shown in the first post is of OOT's final designed, the model is very impressive however doesn't look anything like the beta town that is shown below here. Perhaps a bit of clarification would help my confusion?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I have just a bit of input, you are saying this is a Zelda 64 restoration(Correct me if I am wrong), but the town you got shown in the first post is of OOT's final designed, the model is very impressive however doesn't look anything like the beta town that is shown below here. Perhaps a bit of clarification would help my confusion?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

None of those pictures are of central Castle Town. Those are the backalleys that he's not gotten yet. (at least, that's what I'm thinking, could be wrong)

None of those pictures are of central Castle Town. Those are the backalleys that he's not gotten yet. (at least, that's what I'm thinking, could be wrong)

Yes, what was shown was just the central area. The entrance and other general areas were not revield yet. As you can see in this picture, there is an area in the left of the map that was never shown in the original.

Posted Image

As for the update, The project has been going great. I've been focusing mostly on maps so far. And i've been focusing mostly on areas I do not want to ruin for anyone, like new locations in the much bigger 3D castle town.. So unless people don't mind spoilers, I have nothing to show. So, i'll end this little update with a question, what do people want from this restoration? I would very much like some input :)

I never imagined I would get so busy. Sorry, but for now, I don't think this daily update thing is going to work for me. I really want this to happen, but I am to busy right now. I'm still working on it, I just don't have much time for it. And when I'm not busy, I need time for myself to relax, and modding isn't always the most relaxing. I'm still working on it, i'm just busy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.