The Z64 Wiki is becoming a huge mess

Zeth Ryder

Question

I really mean literally a huge mess cause the spammers are not only spamming huge pages all over the place, but for the fact that its now overwriting legitimate documentation.

http://wiki.spinout1...ect_Translation

http://wiki.spinout1...elda_Map_Select

As a few examples, check out the rest of the spam:

http://wiki.spinout1...l:RecentChanges

I propose perhaps a lock down on the wiki, clean it out entirely of the crap and reverting pages back that were spammed over, deleting the accounts and giving only people who ask here or something like that accounts that can actually contribute legit content to the wiki. Its been really useful and I don't want to lose that information. I'm open for other suggestions and talking it out, spinout, is there anything that can be done or better then what I suggested? Also can I suggest a restructure of the wiki to remove -really- outdated data and things that either copies of an old info from ZSO that is outdated by the new information that is a lot more thorough?

• Like 2

24 answers to this question

disabled registration.

deleting all user pages, they are the ones filled with spam.

will finish this job later, i'm working a lot recently.

computer time is down to an all time low.

edit: xdaniel, you're now an admin. Zeth, you've always been an admin. If you guys want to delete user pages that'd be totally helpful. Sorry for letting this problem manifest itself. Helpful tip for deleting pages: open a whole bunch of tabs (ctrl+click) from the page with the list. Go to the first tab, then alt-shift-d to go to delete page, backspace then enter to delete, and then your browser's close tab hotkey (ctrl+w) for me. No mouse = faster. I gotta get to bed tho, only have 8 hours between shifts, and I've been off for an hour and a half and still have to sleep.

edit2: delete everything on this list but the main page (and any other page that sticks out as notable)

edit3: another list

edit4: list of people to ban; blue links are pages that should be deleted.

Alright, started deleting some stuff, not sure how much I'll get to today; visiting my family over the weekend. Gonna delete more tomorrow evening at the very latest.

Oh yeah, there's more than just the main page under this list that needs to be kept, ex. Maps and Scenes, Zelda 64 Damage Charts, MM Map Select translations, Zelda Map Select, Actors, main page, Zelda build dates, Cutscenes, Shop documentation.

Hope I'm not being bothersome. Would it be better if we just let the mods and admins to only be allowed to post on the wiki so it will deal with less spammers so they wont be able to edit crap all over the place? Or is this already been done? Just an opinion. And if you want something posted on the wiki you can just ask a mod or admin to post it for you? Maybe this will help with less spam. Just posting out of curiosity. :) Not sure how wiki's work.

Hope I'm not being bothersome. Would it be better if we just let the mods and admins to only be allowed to post on the wiki so it will deal with less spammers so they wont be able to edit crap all over the place? Or is this already been done? Just an opinion. And if you want something posted on the wiki you can just ask a mod or admin to post it for you? Maybe this will help with less spam. Just posting out of curiosity. :) Not sure how wiki's work.

They really should update the F3DZEX documentation. It only covers like 3 instructions. I'd do it myself, but I don't have access to the wiki.

• Like 1

They really should update the F3DZEX documentation. It only covers like 3 instructions. I'd do it myself, but I don't have access to the wiki.

Please don't get me wrong, but if you'd want to add http://s13.zetaboard...topic/738776/1/ as-is, I think the wiki would be better off without much of it. The 0xDA matrix command is fine, but ex. the parameters for "D9 Set F3DZEX Mode" (GeometryMode) or "E2 Set Geometry Location" (SetOtherMode_L) in general? Not really.

And about the wiki, I'm currently deleting a bunch of spam, but there's still a whole lot left...

EDIT: Oldest pages seems clean, unused files are clean, sifting through the registered users will take a lot more time, I guess...

Edited by xdaniel

And if you want something posted on the wiki you can just ask a mod or admin to post it for you? Maybe this will help with less spam. Just posting out of curiosity. :) Not sure how wiki's work.

That would defeat the entire purpose of the wiki as being a well of extensive information accessible to and editable by everyone. You might as well just post tutorials and documentation on a forum, much like has been done on the GCN in varying areas.

• Like 2

That would defeat the entire purpose of the wiki as being a well of extensive information accessible to and editable by everyone. You might as well just post tutorials and documentation on a forum, much like has been done on the GCN in varying areas.

I agree with you on that. Just trying to give out some advice that could use some help. :)

Another link that might help with deleting stuff; the recent changes with settings to show the last 500 edits in 30 days not patrolled and not made by oneself. Gives me a whole lot of userpage spam atm, will delete some more and then take a break...

EDIT: Okay, that link is useless now ^^" I just killed the last 30 days worth of spam it seems, so those settings don't show any spam anymore. Also, gonna take a break for now...

Edited by xdaniel

Please don't get me wrong, but if you'd want to add http://s13.zetaboard...topic/738776/1/ as-is, I think the wiki would be better off without much of it. The 0xDA matrix command is fine, but ex. the parameters for "D9 Set F3DZEX Mode" (GeometryMode) or "E2 Set Geometry Location" (SetOtherMode_L) in general? Not really.

And about the wiki, I'm currently deleting a bunch of spam, but there's still a whole lot left...

EDIT: Oldest pages seems clean, unused files are clean, sifting through the registered users will take a lot more time, I guess...

That's because the documentation is unfinished. Most of the instructions listed there are correct though.

Thanks, xdaniel. You're the man. I haven't had time for this stuff recently.

EDIT: I think I stopped having time to keep up with bans on the 27th of May. I only banned accounts that posted spam though... I doubt the spammers are going to use accounts that are older than a few months old, maybe we could stop at August or so, then ban any accounts that are older if and when they post spam?

Thanks, xdaniel. You're the man. I haven't had time for this stuff recently.

EDIT: I think I stopped having time to keep up with bans on the 27th of May. I only banned accounts that posted spam though... I doubt the spammers are going to use accounts that are older than a few months old, maybe we could stop at August or so, then ban any accounts that are older if and when they post spam?

No problem. As for stopping at August, I guess that'll work, although depending on how much effort it is, I'd probably make July the "cutoff point", as one of the two spammers I banned last had registered in July (the other was September).

That's a shame that this is happening... what a mess.

I was hoping to get around to editing the Actor List wiki for Zelda OoT for more information on my findings, including proper groups and names need to be changed a bit.

Well, I wanted to do the same! I'm really interested in your findings, Airikita.

I would like to ask if I could edit the wiki, too. So I could add small and simple things and I would be more useful. I would really like to help, even if I'm quite useless, I can do basic things like completing the Actor Lists.

Thank you for reading!

Well, I wanted to do the same! I'm really interested in your findings, Airikita.

I would like to ask if I could edit the wiki, too. So I could add small and simple things and I would be more useful. I would really like to help, even if I'm quite useless, I can do basic things like completing the Actor Lists.

Thank you for reading!

Yeah... for now I posted a topic about it in the Modifications section... I'd rather post the information while I can.

Alright! Registration is only possible now through OpenID. So uh... If you have an old account, you should be able to convert it, or you can stick with it. If you don't have an account you can create one through OpenID. I'm currently in the process of updating some SQL tables for everything to run smoothly after the OpenID extension but it should all be done soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.