PS All-Stars Battle Royale Open Beta

Conker

In other words, IT'S TOMORROW AND I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT OMG!

http://kotaku.com/59...-beta-this-week

Thank God Vita owners can get in on the action without PS Plus. <3

EDIT:

After watching the video, I cannot even tell if Vita owners get it at the same time as PS Plus users, or when everyone gets it on the 23rd.

I swear to God, this wouldn't be the first time some of Kotaku's writers dropped the ball and made things very misleading.

Yay, it was today! My thoughts:

This game is really fun! I honestly consider it better than Smash Bros., and I'm being serious.

At the core, the two games are VERY similar, so if a Smash Bros. loyalist goes as far to say they hate this game, they basically hate Smash Bros., and I pretty much consider this to be fact(unless they're Nintendo biased and refuse to give up the delusion Sony cloned the game, when all they did was add to Smash Bros'. particular fighting genre, in which case they're being stubborn).

Now, one thing annoys me about the beta:

Too many people play as Kratos, way too many people. It's not even because he's a great character(he's decent, but not great), it's because "OMG KRATOS!", basically, and that's fucking annoying. Also, Kratos is WAY too overpowered .

Anyways, anyone else playing this? It's awesome!

-- Transmitted by an ancient satellite from across the cosmic web. Or my cellphone, if you prefer.

More thoughts:

I've noticed a lot people are now starting to spam one of Colonel Radec's attacks whenever they play as him. Let's just say, it's a very cheap attack. >.>

But yeah, I had already planned to purchase this game, but after playing in the beta, it's a definite day-one if I can.

-- Transmitted by an ancient satellite from across the cosmic web. Or my cellphone, if you prefer.

While the idea of basically Super Smash Bros. but with Sony characters sounds interesting, I find it difficult to ignore the rather blatant conceptual theft that's happened--I mean, they aren't really even trying to cover it up at all, they basically ripped off SSB as a concept and made their own game out of it. But hey, I guess if the game sells and people like it, good for them.

All they're doing is adding to Smash Bros'. particular genre of fighting, and they're not even the first to do it.

Honestly, those are the two things people overlook when dissing Sony's game:

1. It's only adding to the genre. Nintendo shouldn't be the only ones allowed to make games like this.

2. There are a few games I know of that did this before PS All-Stars; A TMNT game, Small Arms on the Xbox Live Arcade, and a Shonen Jump game I recall seeing a long time ago.

Hardly anyone cared, so why is it such a big deal that Sony's doing it? It just seems like Sony is target of plenty of shit they don't deserve.

Anyways, if I recall correctly, Virtua Fighter was the first 3D fighting game which allowed you to rotate around the stage. I guess the many similar games that came after are shameless ripoffs; Tekken, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, 3D Mortal Kombats, ect.

And let's not forget that the 2D Mortal Kombats are shameless ripoffs of something like Street Fighter.

I can go on, but I think you get the idea. I'm just saying that calling it "conceptual theft" is completely uncalled for, and doesn't even apply.

Then again, I think there may be some bias at work here.

Well, yeah, of course there is; most of my non-indie gaming budget ends up in Nintendo's pockets, and I view both Sony and Microsoft with a wary eye because I disagree with the stances they've taken in several cases. I should clarify, though, I'm not dissing the game--it sounds like a lot of fun and a completely different roster for a game genre I like is awesome to me, I'm just commenting that the engine and mechanics of the game look to be near verbatim identical to SSB, even utilizing the damage percentage feature which, to my knowledge, was pioneered by SSB.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that this is a SSB ripoff, but you know what? I could give less of a shit. It really doesn't matter to me either way. A game is a game. There's a reason I own a Playstation 3, an Xbox 360, and a Wii and love them all equally. Why? Because they all have games. I love games. I don't love companies, I love games. That's all that matters to me. And if one company ripsoff another game, then good! More fucking games for me to play. I couldn't be happier. That's just my opinion on the matter, so I'll be playing this game sometime.

even utilizing the damage percentage feature which, to my knowledge, was pioneered by SSB.

What? Well, I don't mean to sound rude, but you've never looked past videos and screenshots, it seems. Everyone who actually reads up about the game knows what those meters actually are.

ANYWAYS, I am in the process of writing up an in-depth topic about why PS All-Stars is, in fact, not a ripoff.

I just want to make known that it's not targeted at anyone, and it's something I've been planning to do for a while now, anyways.

You're correct, I haven't looked past videos, screenshots and a few articles that surfaced when the game was first announced during the last E3, so if I don't correctly understand something about the game, I'll readily concede that. Having just taken a look at how the combat system works though, it looks like it's still borrowing from the idea of Final Smashes, though scoring in the game seems more oriented around using those powerful attacks to instantly kill opponents rather than knocking them off the stage, which I'll grant is certainly original. So I'll amend my previous statement to say it's definitely more inspired than ripped off, and it looks reasonably solid.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.