Question about Model/Map Replacment.

Armos

Question

Where do you begin the process of swapping out models and textures for OoT and MM? Like replacing Hookshot with MM Hookshot, etc. And replacing current maps in game to other maps from other Zelda games like TWW, TP, SS, etc? Is there a tutorial out there that can teach you how to do that or is it too complicated to learn? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I can tell you how to map in a nutshell, get google sketchup or milkshape3d. Make a model, which is going to be your level, and export it as .OBJ. Next, you need a copy of the 64 mb (uncompressed) oot debug rom and for map editing, most preferred by me, sharpocarina. If you load your model up you can inject it to your debug rom (default location is room 117, i dont know the addresses for other level scenes or how to use seperate rooms yet)

I should also mention that you can use any texture as long as its a .png and a multiple of 2 like 32x32 or 64x64. Im pretty sure you cant go above 64 pixels in squares like doing 128x128 but i know you can do 64x128

heres a video of the second map i made. the textures should look familiar ;)

• Like 1

Porting maps from Majora's Mask isn't a problem, but if you are wanting to export maps from TWW or higher, you will need to learn how to extract the model and then take it and convert it into an editable form. After that, you're going to have to do a lot of cleaning up, such as making textures smaller and reducing the amount of faces. After that, simply export it as a .obj file and import it using Sharpocarina or spinouts program.

As for things such as replacing the hookshot and what not, I'm not an expert on model swaps, but there is a great tutorial by SanguinettiMods http://www.the-gcn.com/topic/1192-display-list-porter/ right there.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.