Replacing midi with mp3 for a snes rom?

cloud1414

Question

7 answers to this question

They have done it in a Chrono Trigger hack/sequel project.

This link might explain better:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=10942.0

They've it for SMW hacks with the MSU-1 add on/chip, although I wouldn't know how.

Yeah, those are the two options possible: basically, either modify an emulator to play external music files when a game tries to play SNES music, or modify the game to play music via the MSU-1 add-on instead of its original soundtrack.

Besides the fact that both of those are gonna be difficult, there's some drawbacks. The first method locks your ROM hack to that specific emulator and, while it'll work with others, people won't get your custom soundtrack with them. The second method requires people to use either bsnes, or play the game using a sd2snes flash cartridge on a real SNES, as I believe no other emulators or flashcarts support the MSU-1 yet. Again, people should be able to play the game using other emulators/carts, but they won't get your soundtrack.

They have done it in a Chrono Trigger hack/sequel project.

This link might explain better:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=10942.0

I've been reading the source code for this for the past hour and a half and I think I may be able to get this working with a lot of other SNES games if the user can provide the necessary audio pointers... These are the kind of programs that catch my attention :P It bothers me how they wrote this in C++ but there isn't any user defined objects anywhere though... Either way, kudos to the creator of it!

Well, if you just want high quality music and want compatibility, just sample the music so it sounds mostly the same as the MP3 version.  Like they do with fancy SMW hack custom music.

After all, these ports aren't too... different/low quality:

Of course, they're not note by note identical, but they're so indistinguishable from the original that no one would figure the difference unless they had quite the ear for music.  No idea how you'd do such a thing for another SNES game, but it'd theoretically be possible.  Hell, you can even use short voice samples if you know how.

But yeah, that's about it.  Either use MSU-1 and be sure that everyone is using BSNES or a real SNES with an add on, or just sample the music to an extent that it sounds like it's MP3 but that it's still truly MIDI/SPC format.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.