Finding out other people are using your username

shadow_sculpter

Have you ever stumbled across someone else using your username on some other website, online game, etc? How do you react or feel if you know you had the name first? What if you find out they were the original?

I've been using this username for many years now (sometimes without the underscore since some sites do not permit it), and I've run across this a few times, where people have taken on my username. I personaly feel weirded out when i see it. My username is misspelled... why would someone copy my misspelling? It's just so weird for me to think about.

So yeah, has anyone else ever experienced this?

Haven't experienced it (mine too is a misspelling, although in my case an unintentional one that stuck), but I have found someone with a name very similar. It was notable to me because a few other members of that site actually PM'd me asking me to make a small change that would make them even close together, presumably just to confuse people who may not realize we were different people.

Haven't experienced it (mine too is a misspelling, although in my case an unintentional one that stuck), but I have found someone with a name very similar. It was notable to me because a few other members of that site actually PM'd me asking me to make a small change that would make them even close together, presumably just to confuse people who may not realize we were different people.

Yeah, my name is also because of an unintentional misspelling. That's really strange that people wanted to make your username closer to another's...

I've rarely run across other Spires. It's just a word, so I'm not surprised when it does happen.

Shadow_sculpter is more specific (it's actually a really cool name), but there's always the chance that someone else: a) thought of the name and B) happened to misspell it. There are a lot of people out there.

That's really interesting. You'd think that a username that is just a single word would be more common than a rare occurance. I understand that it is possible that someone else coud of thought up the same name and happened to end up mispelling it as I did when I first started using this name. It just makes me feel really weird, especialy because of something that happened to me in the past.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.