More of a Request...

mzxrules

Question

So, I have been thinking over an idea for a rom hack of Ocarina of Time...

Randomized Ocarina of Time. 

I'm going to hold off discussing it until I get more work done with it, but it will be a hack of v1.0, because there are several bugs exclusive to v1.0 that I like to keep in the game (HOLD R LOL), and it will be sort of like Master Quest in that the maps will be identical (since I have no plans to design new maps myself), but the layouts of the actors are different.

However there is one rather big issue with this plan that I'd like to fix. 

The collision mesh. Since it's stored at the scene level, the collision for every room is loaded all at once regardless of what room you're in. Also, because the collision mesh defines where an exit is located on a map, you can trigger the loading of a new scene if you can step on the right polygon, even if you aren't in the right map. 

Because of these two things, there exists a method for reaching the boss room early in almost every dungeon in the game. The dungeon that is perhaps the worst off of them all is the Forest Temple; All you have to do is enter the main room, grab a ledge that you shouldn't be able to, clip through it and hop down into the boss room without any items.

Fixing this should be far from impossible, but I won't say it's easy. My idea is to modify the collision poly types so that they no longer load a new scene. Then, since every boss room has it's own mock-up map in the main dungeon, you could stick in a custom actor in that map that will load the boss room as soon as the actor itself loads. The trouble is I don't know how I'd code in the actor.

Can anyone help?

4 answers to this question

Hmmm... so you want an actor to load up the boss room instead of the collision polygon type? I'm pretty sure I could write something like that for you in a matter of minutes but first I would have to test out a few functions. If you look at the RAM Map in the Wiki there is a function that spawns a scene; I would be testing that function out as well as finding it in 1.0.

• Like 1

If you look at the RAM Map in the Wiki

v1.0

As far as I know there isn't much information around for where to find functions in the 1.0 ROM. You're probably best off looking for where the next scene/cutscene number gets stored in RAM and going from there. I'm not sure exactly how the game switches scenes but it is something I wanted to look into a while ago.

If you really want to troll people, you could always append an additional box of collision to the scene around the boss exit. The doorway itself already has a collision face, which the door actor bypasses, so if you placed another 5 collision planes around the exit collision, facing outwards, it'd be impossible to get to the boss exit without at least having the key to the boss door.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.