How do you change scene exit/entry?

giadrosich

Question

Okay, keep in mind that I'm really new to all this. I need a direct step-by-step tutorial on how to do this.

I have an idea that I'd like to see be pulled off, but I need some help doing so. But I need to figure out how to change what scene you go into. As simple and concise as possible. Please...don't link me to a page of numbers, because I won't get it. x.x

When you go from Hyrule Field to Lon Lon Ranch, I would like to be able to go to a different place. Like...for example...Gerudo Valley. How can one do this?

I own ZAP2, ZLE2, SayakaGL. Utility of Time does not work with my computer, it doesn't save any sort of changes I make. So that tool is sort of out of the question.

10 answers to this question

I always used ZLE2 or UoT for exit changing. Makes it a breeze. Remember that exists are tied to the collision mesh (scenes, not rooms). ZLE2 literally has a tutorial with it. Go inside where you install it and there will be subfolders. One of them has a tutorial and I believe modifying exists is one of them.

UoT is a little easier, you just load your scene, select the polygon/collision you want to change the exit on and change the number in the settings to the correct exit number.

UoT actually has a list of exists I believe but also ZLE2 has one in the same place as the tutorials I believe. So it turns out you likely already have everything you need...you just need to put forth the effort.

To be honest you are going to have to experiment and do some leg work for yourself. The "step by step or I won't get it" mentality wont get you far in the modding game.

• Like 1

I always used ZLE2 or UoT for exit changing. Makes it a breeze. Remember that exists are tied to the collision mesh (scenes, not rooms). ZLE2 literally has a tutorial with it. Go inside where you install it and there will be subfolders. One of them has a tutorial and I believe modifying exists is one of them.

UoT is a little easier, you just load your scene, select the polygon/collision you want to change the exit on and change the number in the settings to the correct exit number.

UoT actually has a list of exists I believe but also ZLE2 has one in the same place as the tutorials I believe. So it turns out you likely already have everything you need...you just need to put forth the effort.

To be honest you are going to have to experiment and do some leg work for yourself. The "step by step or I won't get it" mentality wont get you far in the modding game.

I would do experimentation, but I don't know where to begin with certain things. As I've said UOT doesn't work on my comptuer. I'd love to use it, but alas, I can't. I didn't know that exits are tied to collision mesh.

Thank you for letting me know that ZLE2 is where one can begin to learn about exits. That's all you needed to say. I didn't know that it had the ability to do that.

What's wrong with asking for a simple tutorial? Sharing knowledge is the best way to get a person who doesn't know how to do this stuff get started. People complain about no new mods, but then when someone asks for a simple tutorial on how to do something, they just blow them off and say "gonna have to do your own research on this, sorry." Why re-invent the wheel?

Sure, there are tutorials on everything that I've covered in the read-me files. But I still put out video tutorials because some people don't understand written instructions as well as visuals or step-by-step learning. I have a learning problem that really just gets in the way of on-my-own learning and makes it incredibly difficult for me to understand written instructions without any sort of visuals.

Apologies in advance if I've come across as a mean person for saying all this, but I'm frustrated at the lack of tutorials on many of the tools that are uploaded. Sometimes, it's just not newbie friendly, and I'm trying to learn. Learning takes time, and by asking questions one learns. I'm sorry if I'm apparently the only person in the world who doesn't know how exits work, but at least I'm trying to reach out and learn about them. I didn't know where or how to do such a thing, this is why I asked. I've done searches and looked for how to change exits, but couldn't find anything. This is why I made a topic in the Q&A section. I feel like you're saying I did absolutely no research/effort before posting this topic. I've asked people before, and they said it would be too hard for me at this point in time, so thus, why I asked for some sort of help in getting started.

At least your the first person to let me know that ZLE2 is the place to go for it. Thank you.

You can lock this topic if you need to, mods.

Apologies in advance if I've come across as a mean person for saying all this, but I'm frustrated at the lack of tutorials on many of the tools that are uploaded. Sometimes, it's just not newbie friendly, and I'm trying to learn. Learning takes time, and by asking questions one learns. I'm sorry if I'm apparently the only person in the world who doesn't know how exits work, but at least I'm trying to reach out and learn about them. I didn't know where or how to do such a thing, this is why I asked. I've done searches and looked for how to change exits, but couldn't find anything. This is why I made a topic in the Q&A section. I feel like you're saying I did absolutely no research/effort before posting this topic. I've asked people before, and they said it would be too hard for me at this point in time, so thus, why I asked for some sort of help in getting started.

Just so you know, that's a fair request and something I have to agree with you on, there definitely aren't enough tutorials for some of the more involved processes in OoT modding, and it also relates to sakura's posts and blog entry regarding the rather poor software design that many of our current tools suffer from, they just aren't very intuitive to the average person and are often overspecialized or developed just for the person who wrote them.

• Like 1

I just can't wait until xdan finishes Sorata. All of this stuff will be so easy. But I completely agree. There are things that I'd love to be able to do, but I honestly can't figure them out myself. For the longest time I've been trying to make a custom animation for link and I'm getting nowhere. I know that's not necessarily a tool-related thing, but as a community we should not only share the result of our knowledge, but the knowledge itself. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I wrote a little mini-tutorial on this... Thankfully, I remember where I posted it. Keep in mind that I wrote it in about a couple of minutes so it's not too detailed:

You could always just follow the 0x13 header commands to the exit list in the scene file you wish to edit. And then from there you could move around exits within the scene by modification of the collision flags in UoT.

Anyways, for usage ZLE2's program, "exit_changer"...:

1st: Launch ZLE2's main program, "zle2";

2nd: Launch the Emulator that can save changes to RAM (Sorry, no PJ64. You could use Nemu)

3rd: Load the ROM

4th: Once you get to the level you wish to edit, Load the Zmap

5th: Find the ROMBASE and/or RAMBASE if needed

6th: Now, open up ZLE2's program, "exit_changer"

7th: You should see many different boxes- these are the exit numbers. Each and every different box is a different exit. Find the exit number that corresponds to the exit you would wish to edit and have fun. Click Here to view the exit list/table.

8th: If you look at the bottom of the program window, you should a drop down box to select object sets- these are for editting cutscene, adult, child exits.

9th: When you are done modifying your exits, click Save at the bottom of the program window.

10th: And just to make sure, click Save to ROM and Save to RAM in the ZLE2 program window.

Original post: http://glitchkill.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=mod34&thread=5139&page=2#50163

Also, I guess the point that haddockd is trying to make when he says "To be honest you are going to have to experiment and do some leg work for yourself. The "step by step or I won't get it" mentality wont get you far in the modding game." is that you won't be able to advance to the areas of hacking where nobody is really able to teach you anything if you keep asking for help on everything. I'm not trying to sound harsh at all, I'm just trying to see the truth behind what he says. By looking at all the documentation on the Z64 Wiki you should be able to piece together things that should be changed when you're trying to modify i.e. exits, entrances, or the exit table. It is good to understand what all is going on and what all is happening by experimenting yourself. It is important to know why you have to change certain things.

I'm pretty sure I wrote a little mini-tutorial on this... Thankfully, I remember where I posted it. Keep in mind that I wrote it in about a couple of minutes so it's not too detailed:

Original post: http://glitchkill.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=mod34&thread=5139&page=2#50163

Also, I guess the point that haddockd is trying to make when he says "To be honest you are going to have to experiment and do some leg work for yourself. The "step by step or I won't get it" mentality wont get you far in the modding game." is that you won't be able to advance to the areas of hacking where nobody is really able to teach you anything if you keep asking for help on everything. I'm not trying to sound harsh at all, I'm just trying to see the truth behind what he says. By looking at all the documentation on the Z64 Wiki you should be able to piece together things that should be changed when you're trying to modify i.e. exits, entrances, or the exit table. It is good to understand what all is going on and what all is happening by experimenting yourself. It is important to know why you have to change certain things.

Thank you for the little outline. That helped quite a lot. I was finally able to make sense of this. The ZLE2 instructions don't really explain that well on what the different things are.

I've looked at the z64 wiki, but almost every page I come across, it's just pages of coding that I don't understand. I suppose I might have been a bit blunt with my posting, but I was just frustrated at the time for feeling accused of not doing any research on my own.

I've learned stuff on my own, I was super proud of the fact that I even learned how to have a chest appear after killing enemies. That's my tiny accomplishment. To other people, this is no biggie, but to me that was amazing.

I don't want someone to just give me something on how to do it, I also do want to know why, I'm not asking that. There's a difference though between teaching someone vs giving them a math book and saying "oh, there are tutorials in there, learn how to do it on your own." It's not going to work for most people. If it did, there wouldn't be teachers. I understand if someone has already learned something, then it can maybe feel dumb to teach such a simple concept, but if someone asks me how to do something, I try to answer. Rather than just say "oh, there's a readme, go to that" I try to answer not only for the benefit of them, but for the benefit of someone who might be coming around months later trying to find out the same thing.

I agree you shouldn't just post the end result. This community has been awesome with helping with frustrating problems, and I don't think anyone will disagree on that. I apologize for my frustrated outburst, it's just...it's hard to get past the simple things without any sort of help at all. I'm not a programmer by nature. My skillset includes playing a musical instrument (poorly at that), and I can type 90WPM. I didn't even know what hex editors did before stepping into this.

It's very hard to get past the simple actor replacement and go into "more advanced" stuff (at least to me). But I'm learning. With the help of this community, I have learned quite a lot that I want to implement in my mod. So I do thank everyone who has helped me.

• Like 1

Well from reading your reply it seems you're already headed in a good direction; not only do you have manual text editting, actor placement, and exit modifications down, you also have basic puzzle implementation worked out (clear triggers). You would be surprised when I say that you don't see a lot of people creating event triggered areas. Kudos. Also, knowing the format of map/scene files will take you a long way: http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Maps_and_Scenes

Jason777 is correct. My methodology was more one of "tough love" versus being an ass. Your post just came across as "hold my hand because I do not want to try it on my own" which is why I wanted to give you a nudge towards independence. You shouldn't take anything folks say here negatively because almost all of us are here to help. We just all have our own styles :)

• Like 1

Jason777 is correct. My methodology was more one of "tough love" versus being an ass. Your post just came across as "hold my hand because I do not want to try it on my own" which is why I wanted to give you a nudge towards independence. You shouldn't take anything folks say here negatively because almost all of us are here to help. We just all have our own styles :)

And I do apologize for being a bit blunt. XD