Message entry list.

Rinku

Question

Hello,

I know this has been figured out before (as there exist some text editors), but I wanted to figure out the message entry list for my own.

So I compared message offsets and finally found the list which addresses the messages:

00BC24C0 Message Entry list

Format:II II Y? 00 07 XX XX XX

Where:IIII = Message ID/number addressed by actorsY = Text box type? = 0, 1, 2 or 3XXXXXX = Message offset relative to the begin of it's file (nes_message_data_static) (freezes if pointing to 00, has to be pointing to a letter or a text control code)

Text box types:0 = Black box1 = Wooden box2 = Blue box3 = Ocarina input box4 = No box5 = No box, default text colour is black6 = No box7 = No box8 = No boxA = No boxB = No boxC = No boxD = No boxF = No box

So, the problem is, as long as I keep the offset pointing to a part of the original message, everything works well, but as soon as the offset points to a part of another message, the game freezes when an actor addresses the message!

Could someone please help me to figure this out? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for reading and helping!

2 answers to this question

You can't have overlapping messages since the game gets the message length by looking at the address of the next message iirc (i.e. each address must be higher than the last). Also, what you have labelled as ? should be the position the text box is drawn on the screen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.