NPCs, Cutscenes, Level Creation, and Quest Beginning

Samurai

Question

- In my mod, Link begins in the Sacred Realm, receiving instruction by Rauru. Link begins there. How do I change the beginning location to the Sacred Realm?

- I also need to add rooms to the Sacred Realm because that is where Link retrieves his new Master Sword, Raven.

- How can I remove the sword from Link so that he can pick it up when he finds the room at the very beginning of the story?

- How can I place the sword in a chest of some sort or port the Temple of Time stone to this Sacred Realm room?

- How to create cutscenes?

- How to edit text without corrupting the ROM?

- How to create NPCs?

That should do it for now. If I have more questions, I will post more later.

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

I can help editing with text. The rest is a bit beyond what I can do. But, seriously, use OOT Text Tool (get it from the downloads section in GCN), it's simple, and you can edit things on the fly while playing the rom, because it's just a notepad file off to the side. I always have it open when editing, that way when I come across text I need to fix, I have it open right there. The readme that comes with it shows you what codes to use to add boxes to a character as well (don't go overboard though).

• Like 1

If Scroll of Time isn't working for you, I suggest using DeathBasket's Text Tool which can be found in the community downloads section here.

NPC model creation is something that may become pretty easy soon, but as of now, only tedious display list porting and there isn't any kind of tool to easily write custom AI.

JSA had written a cutscene tool that I have no idea how to use. You can record camera movements with the Debug Camera, but beyond that, I have no idea.

These other things I think can be found on the Z64 Wiki.

• Like 1

If Scroll of Time isn't working for you, I suggest using DeathBasket's Text Tool which can be found in the community downloads section here.

NPC model creation is something that may become pretty easy soon, but as of now, only tedious display list porting and there isn't any kind of tool to easily write custom AI.

JSA had written a cutscene tool that I have no idea how to use. You can record camera movements with the Debug Camera, but beyond that, I have no idea.

These other things I think can be found on the Z64 Wiki.

DeathBasket's Text Tool was great, except when I modified one text message, it screwed up others I hadn't touched. I actually took a screenshot of this, where Sheik says, "I... Go to Kakariko Village!" Any ideas what this is about?

Odd...are you getting rid of the message_id or message_var? The only thing I can think of is you might accidentally be erasing some coding that's supposed to be in there--I've done it by accident too. The easiest way to get a softlock is get rid of the <wait> on some of the messages. Make sure the <end> isn't gotten rid of either. It shouldn't screw up any other text boxes because it is just a notepad file, and you just edit the words and such. So there must be a mistake being made of getting rid of something important.

If you look side-by-side with a clean copy text dump and an edited version text dump, check the coding on each one and see if you're missing something.

• Like 1

DeathBasket's Text Tool was great, except when I modified one text message, it screwed up others I hadn't touched. I actually took a screenshot of this, where Sheik says, "I... Go to Kakariko Village!" Any ideas what this is about?

That is true, Samurai. I'm somewhat a newb when it comes to hacking, but you could accidentaly erased text tags.  And JSA had a cutscene tool? Where?

Odd...are you getting rid of the message_id or message_var? The only thing I can think of is you might accidentally be erasing some coding that's supposed to be in there--I've done it by accident too. The easiest way to get a softlock is get rid of the <wait> on some of the messages. Make sure the <end> isn't gotten rid of either. It shouldn't screw up any other text boxes because it is just a notepad file, and you just edit the words and such. So there must be a mistake being made of getting rid of something important.

If you look side-by-side with a clean copy text dump and an edited version text dump, check the coding on each one and see if you're missing something.

I thought of that, and made sure to modify only the words the characters spoke, not the words within arrows like <this>.

wow, the Hylian Toolbox looks bad-ass.

I just took a look at it about fifteen minutes ago. "Bad-ass" is an understatement. I look forward to seeing that tool reach completion. :D

I have no idea what you could possibly be doing then to mess up your rom with that program. Unless you're injecting or extracting it wrong. You really need to post up what your changing and what your changing it to.

Hmm... I will make an attempt to post screenshots when I find the time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.