Master Sword Pedestal Shenanigans

giadrosich

Question

Is there any way possible to put the Pedestal inside temples and have Link go forward and back in time this way? I don't have a clue what causes the actual travel to the past/future. This is probably way out of reach what the game or me can accomplish, but I think this could be an interesting feature.

Is there any way possible to put the Pedestal inside temples and have Link go forward and back in time this way? I don't have a clue what causes the actual travel to the past/future. This is probably way out of reach what the game or me can accomplish, but I think this could be an interesting feature.

I also wanted to move the pedestal. I planned to have it situated in the Sacred Realm, so Link can get his new Master Sword, Raven, at the beginning. But as for stopping the time flow thing to make it JUST for gaining the sword and nothing else, I'm lost.

However, I have theorised that the pedestal is built into the Temple of Time's collision (as opposed to being an actor) and that it possesses a certain collision flag (like climbable, hookshot-able, etc.) not accessible to utilities and tools such as Utility of Time.

Perhaps by accessing the hexadecimal code, you can locate the code responsible for that specific collision flag. Best of luck.

...Not quite.

You can put the Master Sword anywhere and draw it anywhere and be sent back to the Temple of Time Anywhere. The problem is of course that you can place the Master Sword anywhere but you will always be sent back to the Temple of Time when you draw it or place it back into its pedestal. This is because, if memory serves me right, the Master Sword Actor contains the exit coordinates and cutscene triggers, rather than the Temple of Time itself. To place several Master Sword slots with several exit coordinates would take quite the bit of ASM hacking and would be a complicated venture.

...Not quite.

You can put the Master Sword anywhere and draw it anywhere and be sent back to the Temple of Time Anywhere. The problem is of course that you can place the Master Sword anywhere but you will always be sent back to the Temple of Time when you draw it or place it back into its pedestal. This is because, if memory serves me right, the Master Sword Actor contains the exit coordinates and cutscene triggers, rather than the Temple of Time itself. To place several Master Sword slots with several exit coordinates would take quite the bit of ASM hacking and would be a complicated venture.

Huh. Well, it was only a theory. Anyway, as I am also curious about this, how would I have an unarmed adult Link pick up the Master Sword as an item, rather than to travel through time?

I haven't really the slightest clue. (Well, I guess I have a few clues, actually) The cutscene that changes Link into an Adult is actually ending up in the Chamber of Sages. Since in your mod he is always Adult Link and if Adult Link draws the Master Sword, then the game will still treat him as Adult Link after the cutscenes (but only on the first draw anything else and he will revert to a child) there's also the issue of Adult Link disabling the Master Sword's appearance (because the actor is being replaced for "Drop" to turn back into a Child) but that's likely an age check, but where it's located in the Master Sword file? I don't know. 

This is an interesting idea and it may not be Impossible. After all a Grotto keeps your coordinates stored from where you originally entered it (If I recall right) independent of a map. If it is used in the same manner as the Magic Mirror from ALttP (where a warp would activate when you stepped on the right tile to take you back to the Light World) then this might be a real possibility. It would be needed though that you have some sort of hack to change your age from when you use the Mirror and come back through the portal.

You might laugh, but this idea actually came from a dream that my husband had. So...yeah. He dreamed he had to go through the Stone Tower temple as an adult, found Jabu-Jabu and then, to get inside, you had to become a kid, and there was a Master Sword Pedestal you could use.

So...that's why I thought to ask about this. XD

It would make for interesting puzzles and it makes sense in a narrative way because the Temples are where the sages are kept, and the Temple of Time is...well..a temple, so why wouldn't the other temples have a way to use the Master Sword?

Just a thought. If you can manage to get it to work without a huge amount of trouble, it would be kind of awesome.

EDIT: Or just have a bunch of Master Swords around the map for easy warping. Since you get prelude so late into my mod.

• Like 1

I haven't really the slightest clue. (Well, I guess I have a few clues, actually) The cutscene that changes Link into an Adult is actually ending up in the Chamber of Sages. Since in your mod he is always Adult Link and if Adult Link draws the Master Sword, then the game will still treat him as Adult Link after the cutscenes (but only on the first draw anything else and he will revert to a child) there's also the issue of Adult Link disabling the Master Sword's appearance (because the actor is being replaced for "Drop" to turn back into a Child) but that's likely an age check, but where it's located in the Master Sword file? I don't know. 

Apparently this age check is at 0xC89BF8. I got the pedestal to show "Grab" as adult Link, but that's the only good part. The sword is still invisible/not there, the animation is still "Drop", with the sword position is messed up and the game crashes on the following Ganon cutscene.

Apparently this age check is at 0xC89BF8. I got the pedestal to show "Grab" as adult Link, but that's the only good part. The sword is still invisible/not there, the animation is still "Drop", with the sword position is messed up and the game crashes on the following Ganon cutscene.

I got it to show up as Young Link on the first file for debug, and the cutscene worked okay, but was glitchy of course (

). But yeah, whenever I put it in as adult, it was invisible and he wouldn't grab it. I stuck it in the first room of the forest temple.

Link as an Adult cannot see the Master Sword because the file say that should be Drop. I am curious though. No "Drop" option appears anywhere near the location you chose, does it?

No, the sword collision is there, though, Link does bump into it. But it won't grab or drop.

We've already cracked that, it should be in the Voyager of Time thread. It's an event flag that's triggered after learning the Prelude of Light in a legitimate manner. It was in the Master Sword Actor and I rerouted what it was looking for be a 0 or above rather than a 2 or above for the Master Sword Pedestal Drop.

That was fast!

I'm really curious on what's the proper method for hunting these flags, whether you use the debugger, the MIPS source file or just the raw hex data alone.

There's a few modifications I would like to do, but I don't feel comfortable asking for things all the time.

That was fast!

I'm really curious on what's the proper method for hunting these flags, whether you use the debugger, the MIPS source file or just the raw hex data alone.

There's a few modifications I would like to do, but I don't feel comfortable asking for things all the time.

The ONLY way to get what you want is by being assertive and making your presence known, demanding the knowledge you seek.

The most intelligent and wise people ask questions the most.

:D

No, I meant "asking for things" as in "being a lazy leech and demanding people to do things for me instead of doing them myself".

Like you, I would like to adjust the Master Sword actor to be used with Adult Link and I have a good idea on how things work, I just can't locate the proper data.

So, as for asking questions, yes, if you know the proper approach to locate the data relative for the code you want to change, please share it.

• Like 1

Oh, there's a thread in the Modifications (which I need to get around to updating) which has several event flags (or bytemaps as they may also be called) and how and why they are changed. I found this data by watching what changed in that area after doing a myriad of things. (However Sanguinetti Mods put forth a much greater effort than me and even hit the all important Dungeon Event Flags, while my work has mostly revolved around conversation and plot event flag mapping) with this knowledge you can breakpoint-read on those values to find out what is accessing them, why its accessing them and how they are accessed.

It's a lot of trial and error (at least for me) but it can be a rewarding experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.