Making a new start in OoT help

wakymaky666

Question

I've just been trying to figure out a way to change the area where link starts once you start a new game but the game crashes if i import custom maps to links house or kokiri (same as Hyrule field)... im gessing that it's because it's trying to load up the cut scene at the start of the game.... I've read a topic ROM/RAM Documentation help by DeathBasket and im gessing thats what i should be reading but i dont even know where to write these little mad codes..

Example:(0xB2045C 240F xxxx)

i've just been messing about with the hex editor but all i can find tutorials on the hex editor is editing the text in the game what npc say.. Im not asking for classes or for enyone to write a complete tutorial just to help me but if someone can send me the right links i should be reading for this sorta thing that could just give me a kick start, that would be great.

5 answers to this question

I actually JUST learned about this, and the offset you want to use is:

The new file starting offset is at 0xB1F774
24 0C XX XX
X= exit list number

Deathbasket had made a mistake with it. See if that helps.

Check out the Tutorial thread in Q&A to see if anything on that helps you out too, there's a few hex tutorials, but I plan to go more in-depth soon and making bigger changes in hex.

To make the game start out in a cutscene from another part of the game, use the first exit number in the list (http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Debug_ROM:_Exit_List).

For example, if you want the game to start out in Kakariko Village at the burning village cutscene, then set the offset to "24 0C 00 DB"

To make the cutscene play, you must go to the cutscene offset which is at 0xB20468 3408 FFFx

We can see in the debug rom that cutscene 0 is the burning village scene. So change the FFFx to FFF0. If you don't want to use a cutscene, then change it to 0000.

sorry to be a pain but where do you write the offset's.. do you use the hex editor.. im just completely lost and dont even know were to start. i've gone through all the basic tutorials but thay all start with replacing random numbers.. i dont even know were to find these numbers.. im probably right off track but theres no other way to find out but to ask for some help. and thanks for the quick reply..

That's okay, I haven't made a tutorial on basic hex usage, and we all start somewhere. I guess I should go over basic functions of hex editors in a video.

Anyway, to get to an offset, open up the rom in a hex editor like HxD, that's a good one to use and it's free.

Hit CTRL+G to search for an offset. For example, when you see someone write "cutscene offset at 0xB20468" You search for it in the rom, then input the number B20468. This will bring you to the exact point to edit, in this case 3408 FFFx. Be sure to make a backup of your rom before making any changes, of course.

• Like 1

exactly what i was looking for.. :lol: thanks alot.. thats what was driving me crazy, just finding these offsets.... i was just running through your vids on video tutorials to get started and i think im just gona mess about with the text to get used to the programe from your tutorials..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.