Super Mario 64: The Quest For Truth/Sonic The Hedgehog: Story Of Knuckles

AikoRikiDaichi

Which would you rather see?  

1. 1. Which of these would you rather see?

• Super Mario 64: The Quest For Truth
    • Sonic the Hedgehog: Story of Knuckles

If you read my last topic forget about it completely. What the REAL project is that I'm gonna be working on is either a Mario64 game, or a Sonic The Hedgehog game. Again it will be a process and require some time, but for now I will talk things over with ShadowFire. Reply your vote to see which game you want to see made, Mario or Sonic. I'll be waiting.

~Aiko

No offense but, you know, if you want people to take your project seriously, you shouldn't just post "I need a team, please message me", but you should show that you're serious about this by trying to learn how to modify the game(s) in question.

To start out, decide on one thing you want to do - say, edit some levels - and then research how to do it. What level editors are available? What do you need to know when editing levels? Any limitations? And so on, and so forth. Once you've made a small hack, nothing big, show it off to the rest of us. That'll show people that you're serious about wanting to try this. Not saying you should know everything and do everything alone, but that you should prove that you're capable of doing at least part of the project yourself.

Again, no offense intended at all, just trying to give some advice.

• Like 3

Yup, xdan is right. What exactly would be your idea for the whole new experience of the rom hack? Would you focus on story, atmosphere, and the overall feel? or are you leaning towards adding new levels, and maps? Maybe you would like to start out learning even hard stuff, it's possible, you could do cool things to add a whole new level to the gameplay.

There is tons of documentation on editing Mario 64, but I've never looked into hacking Sonic myself. If you want a mod to stand out from the crowd you're gonna have to do something big, and unique if you're going with Mario. Though that may not be a problem, show that you have a true passion, and understanding of the series let it show in what little idea's or mods you do and surely people will know "This guy could make an awesome mod, he's got awesome ideas" or "This dudes got talent and is learning this stuff fast" and they will be more willing to help, or join in and form a team.

• Like 1

Sorry if I sounded desperate, but I am not looking just to modify a level or two, I am looking to make a whole new game entirely. New levels, new controls, new story. This project is suppose to be a whole new thing without the main plot programming of the original game. Say how URA Zelda was suppose to have a whole new plot and everything, that's what this is suppose to do.

You still need to further elaborate upon your idea. There are several big-ish modifications generating at the moment. As Jason said, you also need to state your skill level before anyone bandwagons. The Nintendo 64 hacking/modification scene sees hyped up, crazy project propositions all the time and I'd say 70%+ of the time they don't even touch 10% completion.

• Like 2

You'd insert images and links the same as pretty much any other forums with brackets (i.e. http:// , and reverse engineering in general isn't easy without prior knowledge (even difficult at times with it). If you're talking about two dimensional Sonic The Hedgehog games, then I will gladly direct you here for information. As for Super Mario 64 information, I don't really quite know where to direct you for like a "database" of information. However, I did dump the os functions for the game and here is the official function reference manual. Perhaps someone more Mario 64 savvy than myself can direct you to a lot more information other than messiaen's site.

Sorry if I'm coming off as an asshole, just trying to be of avail.

• 5 weeks later...

You should really mod a ROM before leaping into a whole re-design... I've been taking baby steps to re-design Zelda OoT, and it's not something you just leap into without experience. You should practice a few years before jumping on the modding wagon, because booooyyy, you're reminding me of a few people who quit within a few years with the same ambition. You should study a ROM's structure, architecture, design, and how it works before grabbing a runaway train.

Let me say this: every N64 ROM works differently on how it renders models, so your best bet is to use an existing ROM, study the shit out of it, and try to do something from there. Without proper planning, and taking things slow, you're going to run your head into pavement.

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.