Petrie's Challenge (working title) (OoT Mod)

petrie911

This is a little something I've been working on for a couple years now. It's going to be a MQ-style mod of OoT, with dungeons completely remodeled but the overworld largely intact. I expect to complete all the dungeons, but it will take quite some time, so I'll be releasing a demo in the meantime.

this demo consists of the Forest, Fire, and Water temples, which have been strung together such that completing Forest takes you to Fire, Fire to Water, and Water to the end of the demo. Each temple has been heavily modified to the point where it plays almost nothing like the original. In them, you will find complex puzzles, difficult fights, and tests of dexterity unlike anything in other Zelda games. Will you rise to the challenge?

This mod can be played on any N64 emulator. For those of you with N64 flash carts, it can also be played on the N64 hardware. Unfortunately, it does not work in a VC WAD, so you'll have to use something like Wii64 if you want to play on the Wii.

Here's the preview

and here's the download link. The enclosed readme should tell you all you need to know.
http://cloudmodding.com/zelda/petrie/files/patcher.zip

UPDATED 3/5/2014

• Like 8

LOL, I'm so laughing at how people will be raging over your Forest Temple... I would rather give a timer that resets the room if they don't clear it, and some obstacles aside from flame pillars that players can avoid a bit better (spike traps are good), but that's just me.

Keep in mind the playability of it Petrie911, not just by making it a guillotine, because even a guillotine should have points of playability, and there's a high level of unfairness to that Stalfos fight.

• 4 weeks later...

A minor difficulty I've been having. (slight spoilers for Water Temple)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVcEjlsu7Xw

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the room now takes up different space than it used to. Anyone know how to fix this?

Also, anyone know an easy way to shift all the texture vertices in a room at once? I need to shift the textures for "Morpha's Room" behind the boss door downward so they match its new location. If there's no easy way to do that, is there an easy way to just turn them off?

I remember having problems with textures disappearing before, there was a tool included in (I think) ZLE2 called 'clip kill' or something that fixed it. I can't think of any easy way to change texture co-ordinates in the next room other than writing a program to shift all the vertices though.

All right, new version up. This fixes the above problem as well as a few other minor bugs. It also fixes a significant bug on the N64 hardware that slipped through testing due to, you know, me not having a N64.

Welp, you know where to find me if you need a test. Be aware that ASM hacks can fail on hardware, I found that out with Epona and had to make a makeshift fix.

Of course since you're mostly messing with storage values, I see no issues with that.

Petrie, this hack is very well made. The backtracking and all those fire traps can be potentially frustrating, but all the puzzles and clever use of actors more than make up for it.

I'm currently "stuck" at the Fire Temple, in both 5F rooms, wondering how can I use those suspicious push blocks to carry the wooden box all the way to the button in one room or to find a way around the evil slope in another, so I can make it on time.

Petrie, this hack is very well made. The backtracking and all those fire traps can be potentially frustrating, but all the puzzles and clever use of actors more than make up for it.

I'm currently "stuck" at the Fire Temple, in both 5F rooms, wondering how can I use those suspicious push blocks to carry the wooden box all the way to the button in one room or to find a way around the evil slope in another, so I can make it on time.

I would suggest looking harder at the room with the slope. Obviously you need to find a way to get there faster. What can you do to make your route shorter?

So, I think I solved that room in a totally wrong way.

I first cleared the pushblocks out of the way of the one protected by the fire, then I used the button fire to get damage invincibility enough so I could push the block out of the fire and shoot the eye seal.

I can see there is a hookshot post inside the wall, but I can't activate it. Switching the hookshot post seal on/off won't work because there's a post blocking a door needed to get to the slope room, so it's only accessible in one state.

I guess there is yet something I didn't notice in that room.

Now I'm trying to...

get both "white platform" and "hookshot post" seals on (all of them, actually). So, apparently, I must climb the 'room below the cucco room' with grates on vertical mode and the extra big pushblock (with the metal gate blocking the hookshot target). The problem is that the only way I can see to beat the timer requires an unreliable tactic of piling up the 4 blocks at once and moving them around while trying to compensate the game's broken physics.

Am I not seeing something again?

Well, to answer your questions...

Huh, that's an interesting way of doing it. Not intended, but not particularly game breaking. I probably won't bother to "fix" it.

The intended solution is either to run around (this is possible; it's just really close) or to use the blocks to make a staircase up (since you can't climb them, you have to position them so you can jump over the hole to the first one, then jump off the edge of one to grab the second). The switch in the flame circle raises the hookshot tower, which gives you more than enough to move the small block (and lets you do this on subsequent visits).

As for your current situation, keep at it. The game's block physics has a few quirks to how it works, but it's not hard to work out.

Damn! This one keeps surprising me each time!
That water temple twist came out of nowhere! I'm really impressed on how you worked out those new mechanics into puzzles. That effect made the Dark Link battle twice as epic.

So, petrie... I'm not completely sure if I mastered the hammer wall-jump all the way down to what the puzzles require. I can't see a way to reach the rusted switch at the big room with the slope waterfall and the ice keese - or to cross the room at all and get what should be the longshot at the big chest at the other side.
An option should be making the inverse route and get there by the vortex cave, but it seems impossible to push that armos statue all the way to the button without getting it stuck in the whirlpool slopes.
In an way or another, there must be a way to cross the keese room, so I can get to the dragon fountain and the armos geyser rooms with gravity still off.

Well...

You should investigate that armos more. It requires a bit of careful positioning to get it past the vortices, but a straightforward approach should do the trick. The second one is much easier than the first. And indeed, there is a way to cross the keese room. You'll see how later.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.