z64tree

spinout

Updates on two of the things that this thread isn't (lol):

z64anim has some new features:

- hud display, from xdaniel's ozmav

- getopt arguments (old drag & drop still works)

- a few new screen controls (arrow keys to select child/parent/next/previous limb)

Download

Commit

libobj has a new mirroring "solution" which solves the problem with mirrored textures: lack of support in modeling programs. ozmav2 got around this problem by literally mirroring on exports, but when re-imported, a texture could take 2x or 4x the space it originally did. xdaniel and I agreed upon a solution: putting the mirroring settings in the filename of the textures that are mirrored in the file but are to be halved on their height and or widths. For the end user, it should end up being completely out of their mind. I also had the call to the collision fixing code commented out in the last build of libobj, so here's the latest:

Download

Commit

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New build

Fixed a bug when loading an object other than through the command line/drag &

drop; improved hud, proper interaction with objects that use multiple skeletons,

such as barinade (object_bv). probably other stuff.

Posted Image

Edit: So, uh, is there any interest in this? If not, why? I know I would have killed for this program when I was still into this stuff but nobody has given me any feedback directly related to this program so I don't know what direction it needs to be taken in. I added a lot to the UI and it is much more user friendly than the previous releases, and have many windows builds but there isn't any feedback yet.

Is the format too complex to work with? Need I create a higher-level interface which simplifies the complex format so it is easier to work with at an animator's level?

I certainly want to see custom NPCs or enemies in future Zelda 64 hacks; what is the limit to anybody who would be doing something of the sort? As far as I have tested the OBJ importing provided by libobj and used by z64anim and objn64tool is completely working, what is the current roadblock? I want to write programs to help get things done, but I need to know what needs to be programmed.

Gonna have to say that I have thought about a GUI and it sounded like a terrible idea to me.

Newest build is here, includes SDL dll. I *think* libpng and zlib are statically linked, but it could very well be that they cry of lack of dependencies. If so, you could try googling for the DLLs but I wouldn't reccomend that due to revision differences, just reply that it is giving you hell and I'll upload one with every DLL I can find.

https://bitbucket.org/ottehr/z64anim/downloads

Latest commit is also in the repository.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it keeps my hope (and desire to continue this) up.

Also

In terms of constructing animations, a GUI would be useful. From a designer's perspective, it makes it a lot easier to focus on the animation itself. Having said that, the command line interface and its documentation is very comprehensive. I would like a GUI, but a functional program takes priority. That said, having both would be great :D

By command line, do you mean in regards to launching the application? Or using it? Because it can be launched without the command line, but it's own command line is required for some features, though the window hotkeys are considerably powerful.

I *MIGHT* look into a GTK GUI. It won't be anything fancy, just a window loaded with buttons and some inputs.

I hope you mean object - my program wouldn't know what to do with an actor. As for using the mouse to do the translation or rotation [of bones, yes], that is a good idea and I will have to explore ways of implementing it (yay 3D math!)

And I tried GTK stuff, and am having some luck.

• 3 months later...

Z64 anim: Get a crash everytime I go to export an obj with the latest build. Also texture mapping gets messed up in the preview window. Also UV mapping isn't saved correctly on whatever it exports before the crash(Could be cause of the crash or the mapping errors on the program preview window).

EDIT: I got another object to export and when it did, the mtl file was empty with no coordinates.

Whoo! Activity.

Crashes when exporting obj: Is it generating PNGs? I think it has something to do with libpng not working properly. I... don't know what to say about this one. I am working on making z64anim libmem32 compliant, but that requires making libbadrdp libmem32 compliant, which is quite a big task, one that I have only a start on. libobj-lmem32 is pretty much done however.

As for the saving, I need to redo all the saving and loading routines. This will come after or with libmem32 compatibility.

Seeing as there is interest in z64anim I will prioritize it over some other projects I've been working on recently - I've been making models for Goldfinger64.

Whoo! Activity.

Crashes when exporting obj: Is it generating PNGs? I think it has something to do with libpng not working properly. I... don't know what to say about this one. I am working on making z64anim libmem32 compliant, but that requires making libbadrdp libmem32 compliant, which is quite a big task, one that I have only a start on. libobj-lmem32 is pretty much done however.

As for the saving, I need to redo all the saving and loading routines. This will come after or with libmem32 compatibility.

Seeing as there is interest in z64anim I will prioritize it over some other projects I've been working on recently - I've been making models for Goldfinger64.

In one of the exports before it crashed, it did export a couple png's but they were completely blank. When I tried to import back a new model over something, it crashed as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.