Looking for a decent N64 Emulator

Zeth Ryder

Question

See I run windows 7 64 bit, with an Quad core processor and a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and cause I'm running a 64 bit system, Project 64 1.6 seems to have quite a bit of problems running, it likes to crash a bit no matter what pluggin I'm using, and I'm not going to donate to the Project 64 team for a 1.7 build cause I think that is a waste of time if everyone can't enjoy it and has to pay to just use something, especially since I am a strong believer in an open source software/development. Nemu64 has its problems as well, input for GS codes is really horrible especially if codes are long, input for controllers is really horrible as well as it doesn't like to recognize other axis as input, except for the main one if I'm lucky. Since Nemu ignores errors, you cannot know if you are actually doing something correctly or something that would cause the game to crash/render incorrect. I definitely want to look into flash carts to test hacks on official hardware but at the same time, I don't want to have to constantly use an N64 to test everything/change that happens. Is there an emulator that can work for 64 bit systems without the major problems of crashing or ignoring errors while allowing things to be rendered pretty decently?

PS: Having debugging features like Memory editor, breakpoint, etc would be quite helpful.

6 answers to this question

I have heard very good things about both 1964 and Mupen64Plus from spinout. 1964 seems to be geared more towards user-friendliness and efficiency, while Mupen64Plus is in the same boat as Nemu, featuring several useful debugging features, and has a lot more customization possibilities. Both are open-source, if I'm not mistaken.

See I run windows 7 64 bit, with an Quad core processor and a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and cause I'm running a 64 bit system, Project 64 1.6 seems to have quite a bit of problems running, it likes to crash a bit no matter what pluggin I'm using, and I'm not going to donate to the Project 64 team for a 1.7 build cause I think that is a waste of time if everyone can't enjoy it and has to pay to just use something, especially since I am a strong believer in an open source software/development. Nemu64 has its problems as well, input for GS codes is really horrible especially if codes are long, input for controllers is really horrible as well as it doesn't like to recognize other axis as input, except for the main one if I'm lucky. Since Nemu ignores errors, you cannot know if you are actually doing something correctly or something that would cause the game to crash/render incorrect. I definitely want to look into flash carts to test hacks on official hardware but at the same time, I don't want to have to constantly use an N64 to test everything/change that happens. Is there an emulator that can work for 64 bit systems without the major problems of crashing or ignoring errors while allowing things to be rendered pretty decently?

PS: Having debugging features like Memory editor, breakpoint, etc would be quite helpful.

And of course, you can just google a download link for 1.7.

I also think them asking for money is indeed a waste of time, and is rude, in my opinion(for the reason that not everyone would be able to have it).

I am sure they have enough money to continue development on a new version by now and make 1.7 public.

And I would also go with Naxy's suggestions, they seem great.

I am sure they have enough money to continue development on a new version by now and make 1.7 public.

Fact is, PJ64 was last updated some 5 years ago, and it was even longer (7 years, I think) since 1.6 came out. PJ64 is essentially a dead project, and now that 1964 is actually being developed, I think the team has essentially given up. Everyone and their dog has PJ64 1.7, anyway, so it's not like their donation scheme did any good. Just goes to show it's a bad idea to try to put a price tag on emulators--no matter what you say, that's essentially what they did. Emulation fans will get what they want.

I think it is somewhat of a myth that Nemu 64 "ignores errors". The fact is that it runs much more closely to a real N64, whereas PJ64 has game-specific hacks which seem to "break" ROMs which are modified in certain ways. Because of this, people tend to think that the ROM is broken but it still runs in Nemu. The only difference between running "broken" ROMs in PJ64 or Nemu 64 is that Nemu will run it even if the CRC doesn't match up. For example, my LZO Debug ROM hack does not run in PJ64 1.6. However, it has run, without hitches, in Nemu 64 and on real hardware. If you need an accurate, fast emulator with a debugger, Nemu 64 is the way to go. That being said, I would recommend you try Mupen64Plus. The latest versions are command-line only unless you find a GUI, however. And if you can set up 1964, I would recommend it. I personally have never had success with 1964, I haven't run Windows since it became active again and Wine doesn't run it well enough to boot games.

As for GS codes in Nemu 64, a quick script usually takes care of the issue.

i=0
for line in """80123456 0000
80123458 0001
...""".split('\n'):
    print "CheatName8Code%i=%s"%(i,line)
    i+=1
print "CheatName8Count=%i"%(i)

Fact is, PJ64 was last updated some 5 years ago, and it was even longer (7 years, I think) since 1.6 came out. PJ64 is essentially a dead project, and now that 1964 is actually being developed, I think the team has essentially given up. Everyone and their dog has PJ64 1.7, anyway, so it's not like their donation scheme did any good. Just goes to show it's a bad idea to try to put a price tag on emulators--no matter what you say, that's essentially what they did. Emulation fans will get what they want.

Ah, I never knew they stopped development(if they have given up). All I ever did was just download it from places like mediafire, and stopped paying attention to their website.

And yeah, I agree with the "price tag on emulators" thing. On my Evo(Android phone), I go on the market, and every good emulator costs money. A shame, really.

Never stops me from finding the .apk files of said emulators and installing them for free, though. :P

Anyways, good luck with your search, Zeth. :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.