Question regarding GBA Pokemon hacking

DarioEMeloD

A year ago, me and a friend were thinking of making a Zelda hack of a GBA Pokemon game ('cause they're easier to hack, there are a lot of hacking programs and resources for these games [R/S/E/FR/LG]). We were thinking about everything, but never really got into actually hacking the game, though I started working on some sprites, but I only finished Deku Baba and Keese (I can't find them T-T).

The game pretty much covers OoT storyline, but adding some characters and stuff from other games... it goes something like this:

You are a Kokiri (male = Link ; female = ??? [couldn't be Saria, she's a sage... just keep reading xD]), you wake up by a little fairy that comes to your house and tells you that the Great Deku Tree wants to talk to you. You go there and he then gives you your first monster (btw, somehow Mido or someone like him would be your rival). Then he tells you the story of blah blah, Ganondorf wants to rule the world blah blah, and you have to gather the X medallions from the Temples (well, there are 8 badges and 6 medallions... I'm not really sure what to do about this xD). Every Temple (Gym) would be like a dungeon; you have wild monsters, a couple of trainer battles, puzzles and stuff. Then you battle the Sage of that Temple (Gym Leader), and when you win he gives you the medallion... and... a TM xD

Then you go to Ganon's Castle, fight 4 of his minions (could be Twinrova [double battle!], Zant, etc) like the Elite 4, and then the final battle with Ganondorf like the League Champion.

Some of the monsters that we came out were:

Baby Dodongo [Fire/Earth] > Dodongo [Fire/Earth] > King Dodongo [Fire/Earth]

Deku Baba [Grass] > Boko Baba [Grass/Poison] > Diababa [Grass/Poison]

Octorok [Water] > Big Octo [Water] (though there are different color Octoroks =/)

Keese [Normal] > Fire/Ice/Shadow Keese (something like Eevee, maybe we can even come up with a Grass, Psychic and Electric Keese xD)

Gohma Larva [bug] > Gohma [bug] > Armogohma [bug/Rock]

ReDead [Ghost] > Gibdo [Ghost] > Dead Hand [Ghost]

Floormaster [Dark] > Wallmaster [Dark] > Bongo Bongo [Dark/Ghost]

There should be a Deku Scrub too... somewhere...

So, the question is... =P

I'd like to see this project be born again, but, do you think this is a good idea? And if you do, would you be willing to help me? (aka, I don't know a thing about hacking xD)

That actually sounds really interesting, and would like to help a little bit.

I'm a little bit familiar with Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby hacking, but if you want, FR/LG aren't really all that much different. I will admit, though, if you plan on using emerald, it's not very hacker friendly.

Where be Satoshi and Naxylldritt when you need them? I believe they are pokemon hacker friendly! :>

Second generation, not third, Zeth. I can do some tricks with Silver, but I haven't tinkered around with R/S/E/FR/LG yet, though there are by and large far more tools for those games (finding all I did for Silver was a pain in the neck and a half >.>). Satoshi is, hands-down, your man for sprite designs. I'd throw him a PM if you need help in that aspect. I may look into designing custom Pokemon when I get some time, so I could potentially help with monster design in the form of movesets, importing sprites, evolutions, stat tables, etc.

Oh yeah, also, I think this should be done. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.