The worth of the "gold cartridge"

xdaniel

So, yeah, a question mainly to our American members: What's the gold cartridge of OoT worth? And what's it worth in shitty condition?

I'm asking because at a flea market a while ago, there was a stall selling, among a bunch of other games, a NTSC-U Zelda OoT gold cartridge. The thing with that cart, tho, was the fact that it wasn't anywhere near mint condition: It was loose, scratched to hell and back, the actual gold color was rubbed off in many places, and some of the pins on the connector were partially corroded... and they still wanted some 25€ or so for it, which is around 35 USD by current exchange rate! It was nothing a collector - and that, I assume, would be the only kinda person who'd actually seek out or want a gold cart (me included) - would want to put on his shelf!

Not to mention, the corrosion. They tried to play it down, saying they tested the cart, saying I could just use some cleaner or whatever to rub it away. Well, tell that to my Mario Kart 64 cartridge, which also has a few slightly corroded contacts. And refuses to boot 25% of the time. And crashes whenever the N64's subjected to even a slight shock.

I wouldn't mind having a NTSC copy of the game to go with my NTSC machine, and of course I wouldn't say no to a cheap and nice looking gold cart... but I don't really need one, a regular grey cart would do just as well.

Gold cartridges are actually pretty common, well, at least from what I've seen in the flea markets, I rarely find gray ones, but just so you know, I'm not saying that any OOT cartridge is easy to find, it's better to just buy one online, slightly more expensive though.

For that cartridge, I wouldn't fork over more than 5 dollars. Very old, very used games do not sell for more than that, regardless of collectability value. For a decent-condition gold cart of Ocarina of Time, it varies. I imagine the price could range anywhere from 20 dollars (someone who doesn't know how valuable the cart is) to 150 or so dollars (though that's pushing the limits of extravagance). Personally, I'd probably charge/pay between 50 to 60 dollars. It really just depends on where you can find it and whether the person knows it's valuable.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to think that the cartridges only came in gold... I also have a gold Majora's Mask Cartridge with a holographic label, if that's worth more than a grey cartridge.

This. Back when OoT came out I didn't know anyone who didn't have a gold cartridge; to this day I still only know one person who has a grey one. I'm pretty sure the gold one is the most common over here though and it won't be worth anywhere near as much as the gold US cartridge.

This. Back when OoT came out I didn't know anyone who didn't have a gold cartridge; to this day I still only know one person who has a grey one. I'm pretty sure the gold one is the most common over here though and it won't be worth anywhere near as much as the gold US cartridge.

Awww... I wasn't planning on selling it, but it gives me a certain feeling that I own something that someone would throw away so much money for... can't really describe it, the best way to describe it is a "I'm cool" feeling.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.