Wind Waker: Exactly How Much was Cut?

Sage of Mirrors

It could be. The model itself, while it doesn't seem to contain the island itself, has a few (three) joints where the island should be... could it have been that the island would rise from the ocean? That's the only thing I can think of if the ocean has bones.

Hold on... I extracted the other islands for comparison. ENDumi seems to be a version of Northern Triangle Island with the surrounding sea rendered; the normal version is just a model.

It seems the Wind Waker disc has a lot of trash in it. First there's the duplicate Wind Temple rooms in Cave08, then I find an entire Tower of the Gods model in the Object section of res.

Whoa, whoa whoa. Hold on.

I distinctly remember watching a Youtube video once about a fourth Trangle Island that loads when you're in the top of the Tower just after beating Gohdan. It has all three statues (albeit in Dormant form) mashed together on it. The model for the Tower that I found is huge... the same size as the actual model in 'sea.'

Could it be that the game loads ENDumi as the map for the bell tower, and spawns the X_Tower object? What reason would they have for doing that?

Hmm... I'm going to go see if the bell tower itself has a model.

EDIT: No, it does not.

Here's my theory.

When they scrapped the original Tower's theme, they were hard pressed to complete a new dungeon with a different theme.

For some reason, to save time, they just copied the Tower's Sea model, made it an object and made it spawn in a normally unused map.

This would explain why there's a beta map with ONLY the bell tower stuff; it was originally supposed to be a stand-alone map.

It would also explain the discrepancy between Gohdan's chamber and the 'Bell Tower' itself; when they copied the Tower's model, they didn't bother to put a gap in it like they had done for the original Bell Tower.

This could be somewhat supported by the fact that the Bell spawns with the model of the Tower at sea, and it can in fact be rung if you use something like AR to get up there. The area around the bell is the same size as the one where you'd go after Gohdan's battle, and it has collision. Ringing the bell produces a screen shaking effect (the one that would happen normally), but nothing happens. However, the cutscene with the portal to Hyrule immediately begins if you ring the bell in the Tower's Sea model and then go into the light after beating Gohdan.

Worth mentioning that I found a couple other maps with the same textures as Rooms 19 and 20. They're hallways- one regular, and one with a gap in the center.

...No. Might've been a good theory, though. I loaded up ENDumi in-game, and I was presented with an ocean with the pirate ship. It seems ENDumi is the map loaded for the time when you've just decided to get on the ship. That would explain the lack of models other than the ocean in BMDview; the ship is most likely an object, and thus wouldn't appear on the level's geometry. It probably uses a Triangle Island's .dzb because the game would throw a fit if there wasn't one. If the pirate ship is the only place you're supposed to be able to walk, the surrounding ocean doesn't really need collision.

Oh well.

New subject.

I loaded up one of the halls that I mentioned earlier. This was the result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apparently there's a beta Beamos that's just a base with an eye that appears when you get close enough. Now, these Beamos had a fatal flaw; they had space behind them so you could get around them. Maybe that was intentional?

Also, the button with the statue... I think this is evidence that the Tower's basic structure wasn't changed when they redid the way it looks. I'm going to load up the second hall that I found now.

That Beamos? It's a file called 'Hmos.' it's an entire unused Beamos model set- three bases (One wall-mounted!) and two eyes to correspond to the final ones.

Yeah, Wind Waker's disc really is stuffed with leftovers - from the remains of the "Alpha Forest", the Tower of the Gods stuff, the E3 Outset Island... I'm glad that they didn't clean up after themselves :P

Also reminds me, I'd imagine the Cutting Room Floor guys would appreciate the findings here. What about either posting in the TCRF board at Jul (http://jul.rustedlogic.net/forum.php?id=12) or directly editing the Wind Waker article on the Wiki?

This just in:

Posted Image

The Beamos encountered in Room15 is NOT beta. It's a normal one.

I think I might have a theory as to why Room19 doesn't load... it might be trying to load a .arc that doesn't exist (a boss model?) and thus causes the game to hang... Dolphin reports that after Room19 loads, it spawns 'Dalways.arc' (a chest found under the ocean) and nothing else. I wonder if I can find a list of what .arcs Room19 wants to load...

Twilight Princess's Beta stuff is just as massive, I did a bunch of ref screenshots ages ago of some beta things and things from the Gamecube E3 demo back when ZSO existed http://core.the-gcn.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Does this E3 demo still exist in some form? Are you really talking about the Kiosk demo?

I wonder if there are any beta rooms in that version that were removed from the final version...

Does this E3 demo still exist in some form? Are you really talking about the Kiosk demo?

I wonder if there are any beta rooms in that version that were removed from the final version...

The 2005 GameCube E3 demo of Twilight Princess. It should be the one that has been ripped, not the 2006 Wii one. That one has nothing good.

There is a beta Forest Temple room at 4:57.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.