OoT 3D on a PC?

BlackRose

Question

Hey guys, just curious, i've been googling around but can't find much information. Basically, I'm craving to play Ocarina of Time 3D but dont have the money to go out and buy a 3DS and the game with it. So, my question is, is it now or will it be possible in the near future to play OoT 3D via emulator on the computer? I realize that there will be no 3D and no use of the gyroscope, but I still just really wanna play it. And if its not possible, can anyone suggest any alternatives like do stores rent out 3DS's or anything?

14 answers to this question

Early emulation of the GBA came about via (as far as I know) leaked official docs/SDK, early DS emulation came about through certain hardware similarity to the GBA (ex. one of the CPUs, 2D video core), while the 3DS is something else entirely. I'm not sure if the exact type of CPU used in it is already known (ARM, but what ARM?, etc), neither do I believe any effords have been made in emulating the PICA200 graphics chip. Also, unless I missed something significant, it's not even yet possible to execute our own code on the system, let alone dump ROMs of the games.

So, in short, don't count on 3DS emulation in the near future.

Sorry, xdan, but a 3DS emulator apparently has already been created via modification of no$GBA's source code. I haven't tried it (mainly because I haven't found any 3DS roms yet) but there is an actual program.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4RJS5BIN

PASSWORD: TyranitarTube.com

I -really- don't know if it's legit, and I have my doubts, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Hey thanks xdan and to coool! Sanguinetti, you should go for that, it would be very nice.

Still on the subject of emulation, yes, I too have seen a little bit of the no$GBA modification to be able to emulate the 3DS, but I have not gotten a chance to try it (apparently it plays regular DS games fine but is very limited with 3DS). Also, I've seen sites offering 3DS ROMs, even for OoT 3D, but I am never able to find a download link to them, so the sites may be fake?

Link to that site:

http://www.3ds-rom.com/download.htm

Sorry, xdan, but a 3DS emulator apparently has already been created via modification of no$GBA's source code. I haven't tried it (mainly because I haven't found any 3DS roms yet) but there is an actual program.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4RJS5BIN

PASSWORD: TyranitarTube.com

I -really- don't know if it's legit, and I have my doubts, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I very much doubt that this is legit, considering No$GBA's last release, v2.6a, was 3 years ago and it's not even open source.

And besides, the likes of ex. AEP-Emu would've posted about something like this.

EDIT: Downloaded it anyway, and while I can't find my copy of v2.6a at the moment, this NO$GBA.EXE's Last Modified date is January 23rd 2008, the same day the official v2.6a was released.

Edited by xdaniel

@xdaniel - The 3DS uses a modified ARM architecture, which was used on DS.

@BlackRose - Doubt we'll see an emulator yet. I managed to obtain the only three 3DS roms dumped so far (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Super Monkey Ball 3D & Lego Star Wars III). I tried booting them on the emulator that to coool linked to, and they all crashed, showing similar errors for when you boot a non-gba/nds game. This is clearly a repack of 2.6a. You're either gonna have to save up for a 3DS, or wait at the very least 1-2 years before we see any sort of proper emulation/flashcarts.

I really don't trust that "3DS ROM hosting site" that you posted, BlackRose. It seems like everything on there is just put to get it toplisted on Google searches for free 3DS ROMs, but there's no actual substantive description of what the site is for. I'm with xdan on this one; I wouldn't expect 3DS emulation--even in its most basic state--to come around for quite some time.

@xdaniel - The 3DS uses a modified ARM architecture, which was used on DS.

As I mentioned, "ARM, but what ARM?". I realize the GBA was ARM7, DS was ARM7 and ARM9, now what's the 3DS? ARM11? It's probably written on the actual chip, but apparently no one has yet taken his 3DS apart (or at least looked for the chip).

It's probably written on the actual chip, but apparently no one has yet taken his 3DS apart (or at least looked for the chip).

You've a hefty order there. The vast majority of people who own a 3DS are a bit concerned about breaking the 3D screen effect during taking it apart (at least, I am, anyway), effectively ruining the main hook of the device. Hence, it'll be a while, I think, until it gets to the point where people would be more willing to try taking it apart.

As far as I know, there's not even any sort of (released) way to even get images of 3DS games yet, short of taking pictures of the screen.

I swear, Nintendo HATES pixel perfect screenshots.

Yeah, the only thing that allows that is probably a devkit or debugger, the 3DS equivalent of the... IS-NITRO-CAPTURE or something, I think, for the DS. Basically a blue box with a Phat DS on a cable, which has Composite video out for playing DS on ex. a TV, and I believe it can also be hooked up to a PC for capturing screenshots... not 100% sure, tho.

What I do remember is that the games go into the capture box itself, instead of the DS, and when Yoshi's Universal Gravitation for the GBA (tilt-sensor game!) came out, one of the presenters on a German gaming TV show had to tilt that blue box(!), while the other used the DS controls to do whatever else was needed :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.