Groups in SketchUp?

DeathBasket

Question

17 answers to this question

So I only have the free version of SketchUp and apparently it ignores all groups when exporting to .obj (this plugin). Does anybody know of a way to preserve all of the groups while exporting so that I can use SharpOcarina properly, or do I have to go and get some other program?

I'm having this problem too honestly, so I'm with you. And for my OS, it's Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). Not trying to steal this thread or anything though.

A lot of people find its interface a bit frustrating, but it's a far more powerful and accurate modelling tool than SketchUp.

It is -extremely- frustrating which is why I prefer Max over it, though Max does have a better advantage over blender and well everything has a better advantage over sketchup xD

I find that SketchUp does everything needed for modelling OoT maps except the texture mapping, which is almost always terrible on any geometry that isn't a box or flat surface. I like some of the features 3DS Max has but it takes a lot longer to create maps and is much more difficult to use. I think I'll be sticking with SketchUp, at least for now.

I find that SketchUp does everything needed for modelling OoT maps except the texture mapping, which is almost always terrible on any geometry that isn't a box or flat surface.

Most people don't know about some of the texturing tools about SketchUp (i.e. per-polygon mapping, projections, etc.), but once you master those SketchUp is, at the very least, competitive with other major 3D modeling programs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.