Modelling OoT maps in SketchUp

xdaniel

Question

Now I'm the one needing help with imports :D Well, to be more exact, with actually modelling maps in SketchUp. I did manage to make a little test map myself, just to go wild with SharpOcarina's features, practice actor association with flags and triggers (switch + chest, etc.) and such, but that's about it: http://i.imgur.com/f4eWY.png

However, there's some things I have no idea about. One thing is scaling things in relation to how they'll appear in-game, say space for a door. Making an outdoor field map isn't that much of a problem, but dungeons or houses are something else. Say, how big is a normal dungeon door? How to represent that size in SketchUp? Things like that. Or generally, what kinds of hints and such do you have for someone who's basically just starting out with modelling?

18 answers to this question

If you're working in metres then the scale should be 1 metre = 1 unit, but that seems to depend on the exporter (SketchUp's vs ruby plugins). I don't know what it is for imperial since I don't use that system.

The notes I have on door sizes are:

Boss door:

120 wide

160 high

40 deep

Normal door:

60 wide

100 high

40 deep

Dodongo's Cavern doors:

160 wide

160 high

40 deep

Push block (small):

60x60x60

Arcaith probably has a few more notes on object sizes.

As for the actual modelling, there's not too much I can say to help other than just to make good use of the length display in the bottom right corner to get all your lines and shapes the right size. I'd recommend scaling and triangulating your map before you texture it too as that will sometimes mess with texture mapping.

xdan, small optimization tip; the wall closest to the viewer on the bottom view; if you make the face a perfect rectangle and don't attach it directly to the crumbled parts of wall and ceiling, you'll drop the triangle count of that face to 6.

Below shows what I mean.

watertemple.png

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tried something easier, an outdoor area - to be exact, the potential entrance to my dungeon-thingy above. Yet I don't know if I'll continue doing this... Trying to group things in SketchUp is a pain, and texturing - while maybe enough for, well, buildings for Google Earth - isn't much better -.-

Sanguinetti. I appreciate the effort but your last 2 tutorials (#Ocarina and SketchUp) show what you are doing but say nothing about how to accomplish or the click operations to mimic what we see. Would you be able to make a tutorial that was more...well...tutorial-ly? Please do not take this in offense. I ask as a student of modding and only wish to expand my understanding.

Sanguinetti. I appreciate the effort but your last 2 tutorials (#Ocarina and SketchUp) show what you are doing but say nothing about how to accomplish or the click operations to mimic what we see. Would you be able to make a tutorial that was more...well...tutorial-ly? Please do not take this in offense. I ask as a student of modding and only wish to expand my understanding.

He's basically showing how to make organic surfaces. I'll try to explain in simple steps...

1. Create a square and split it in half diagonally from one vertice to the other.

2. Now make another square in exactly the same way you made the square in step 1.

3. Connect the squares at the vertex points.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 till you have a relatively large area to work with. Sanguinetti shows how to do this using shortcuts through copy+paste magic.

5. Now to form the organic surfaces use the move/stretch tool to pull vertex to give off the desired effect.

It's not the exact way he did it but you wind up with the same results in the end.

haddockd: You couldn't get anything to import with SharpOcarina yet? Are you sure there's at least one group in the .obj file? Are the faces oriented correctly? Have you applied textures, even a dummy texture of some kind, to your model? Try creating a simple ground plane in SketchUp, say 250 meters in each direction, and apply some simple texture to that, be it a solid color or whatever. If that doesn't work, I don't know.

Thanks Sanguinetti! I really appreciate it. Will check this out and put it to work when I have some extra time.

@xDaniel: Will follow Sanguinetti's tut and see if I get the same results. In the past I have exported a simple square piece of ground with both SketchUp and Blender and neither imported. Hopefully his tut will set me straight.

After watching his tut, I know what I was doing wrong. I wasn't "grouping" anything. I thought that was something the program took care of at export.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.