Zelda OOT 3D speculation

Zeth Ryder

So I've been researching a lot of glitches in OOT 3D, come to find out, a lot of these are things that you can do in its N64 counterpart I'm sure they didn't leave some of these gamebreaking glitches on purpose. Which I also remember reading about the source code of OOT was handed to the codevelopers to use. It seems like it might be possible that OOT 3D is infact OOT N64 but with a slightly upgraded engine, this is where the speculation comes in. Could they be using the same dlist format they were using during the N64 days as well? Its really got me wondering though you know, if they are using like an upgraded version of OOT's format, then its very possible we could still make custom content for it. I've been itching to get my hands on an OOT 3D rom to find out, but then again, no luck finding one. Any thoughts?

From the moment I started playing OoT 3D, I knew right away that is was just the same exact game with updated visuals. It's a very sloppy port in that sense(as in, they couldn't hide that fact). Then there's all of the glitches from the original game, like you said, from the original. If it was an entirely new game, they would not be there. So, I do not see why it WOULDN'T be possible to mod for the game, and something makes me doubt they changed anything with the dlists. Honestly, when the time comes we have great 3DS emulation, and OoT 3D is discovered to be modifiable(no doubt by you or anyone else here on the GCN), I expect some awesome stuff from you. Like, really awesome stuff, that you can only do when you're Zeth. :3

Uhm, Display Lists as we know them are something specific to the N64 as a whole, not specific to certain games, and thus have nothing to do with the game engine outside of which Ucode a game uses (which in turn are specific to the N64's chipset). While the 3DS probably also has a form of Display Lists, I bet they nowhere near the N64's.

From the moment I started playing OoT 3D, I knew right away that is was just the same exact game with updated visuals. It's a very sloppy port in that sense(as in, they couldn't hide that fact)

I completely disagree. If you want to see lazy port, look at every version of Rayman 2 accept for the PC version. OoT 3D has several things added to it that may seem small but prove it's more than a port. First of all, the lighting engine is different, there is specular lighting, geometry of actors has been refined, the textures and animations obviously, jump canceling, and the smoothness has been increased. Anything else shouldn't be changed and I'm glad the glitches were left in because it's just added nostalgia. Master Quest 3D is a giant mind-fuck, being reversed. OoT 3D is absolutely not a lazy port, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Calm yo' crazy titties down, guys, you're messing up EVERYONE'S schedule! <.>

Seriously, let's cut the drama bullshit. This is a speculation thread, not a give the admin a reason to ready his mutehammer thread.

Don't see the problem there admin.

@Xdan - I was also wondering that as well, or perhaps a more advanced version of the N64 based displaylist. I think our knowledge however from the N64 OOT is definitely going to help us out a lot when it comes to the OOT 3D if and when we decide to hack it.

Don't see the problem there admin.

You didn't see what I cleaned up. Let's just leave it at that.

@Xdan - I was also wondering that as well, or perhaps a more advanced version of the N64 based displaylist. I think our knowledge however from the N64 OOT is definitely going to help us out a lot when it comes to the OOT 3D if and when we decide to hack it.

I had heard before that some of the glitches were intentionally left in as features, but if there's still those game-breaking glitches, you may be on to something with the port/engine upgrade. If this is based on the original source code, then it definitely would've been easier to "leave" those glitches in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.