Really BIG News

Arcaith

Rivan, that's why the system works. It doesn't load it all into memory at once. It works by checking which points are visible onscreen and it only displays those points. That includes detail lost to distance; if one point is obscuring a bunch of others, it only renders that one visible point. So at 1920 x 1080, it's only rendering 2,073,600 visible points, 1 point per pixel. The guy got the idea from the prerendered sprites used in Donkey Kong Country by Rare. The sprites only display what is visible to the viewer of the 3D model. He thought it was being done in realtime, and worked his project toward achieving that.

I myself don't agree with you, Branden. But that's likely just the cynical ass coming out of me with things like this. But regardless to whether this is real or not, it won't make the slightest difference to me, so I won't be eating my words as the doubter I am.

OFF TOPIC:

I still love you. Just sayin'.

Cool story, bro. I don't care.

-snip-

So no, I am not listening to Notch when it comes to how well something would run.

The reason Minecraft runs worse on your computer is because Minecraft uses OpenGL instead of DirectX, and because the Minecraft world is nearly infinite. The Minecraft world is made up of chunks, each containing 16x16x128 blocks, or 32,768 blocks. The X and Y coordinates for Minecraft go on technially forever, or at least until they reach the Farlands, which is still playable, but is a major memory hog, and will crash your computer eventually. Adding that many blocks, along with Entities (Animals, Enemies, dropped blocks and items, TNT, Arrows) is guaranteed to slow you down.

The Crysis world, while visually stunning, is still finite. All the levels are predetermined, and limited.

while I believe it is possible, I think it will be a little while for truly convincing landscapes. while that demo does look nice, it repeats and awful lot, and there are only a handful of models being shown at a time. I would compare it to an n64 game. nearly all of the trees or other things are the same.

If this engine actually is real, and works, does anyone know any other possibilities of what this could be used for? Right now, to me, it seems to be a concept beyond belief and current technology, as only computers advance fast, not so much video game systems. And WHO could actually play it? The whole world doesn't have super fast computers.

Now, let's take into consideration all current PC games being released with super fancy graphics that require a high-end machine. So, those must not be practical AT ALL since not everyone can play them either, huh?

I believe the answer you seek is:

No, they are still practical. And the same applies with unlimited detail.

The whole point of this engine is that it can run this level of detail on SOFTWARE, which is an incredible feat. Running it on actual hardware, even low end hardware would IMPROVE the 30fps they're getting on pure software. Also, to those who are saying that it would make for huge games, consider repeated details, you'd only need so many different grains of dirt to randomly generate ground that doesn't appear to tile, nor would you need many differing types of foliage. Also, most games are finite in area; Notch brought up this point initially (size of the game) except Minecraft is an infinitely generated world, so of course size is a concern. In a finite world, you only need to optimize your areas to produce something that totals out to maybe 6 gigabytes. With storage technology advancing the way it is, I sincerely doubt that'll be a problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.