Steve Jobs a bigger influence to gaming than Miyamoto!

xdaniel

...supposedly, according to 1000 people working in the business. Article here, read it and be baffled: http://www.modojo.co...imply_baffling/

And I 100% agree with the sentiments in that article, tho I'd go further and additionally call this whole survey bullshit. I bet those 1000 people were iOS developers, making crappy Duck Hunt clones, and selling them to unsuspecting users for a premium.

I want to punch each and everyone one of these lunatics in the face. I'm actually not kidding. To think that meager efforts of no more than five years or so can topple the quarter-century of dedication that Miyamoto has poured into Nintendo is as depressing as it is outrageous.

Note to self: Never take London's gaming industry seriously ever again.

I don't get it. What did jobs actually do other than build iphones and macs? This is apple fanboyism at its finest. At least in phones, Apple itself is one of the laughingstocks of the industry. What with its lawsuits over frivolous things.

Posted with Droid 2 filled with Gingerbread goodness using Tapatalk.

I don't get it. What did jobs actually do other than build iphones and macs?

Well, he was involved in the development of the Atari game "Breakout!" back then, and there was the "Macintosh" line of computers which shaped the company to what it is now which he created with another dude. But I agree that this survey shit's wacky, even though Steve Jobs did make some good stuff, that doesn't mean that he innovated the video game industry. I would've picked Mr. Miyamoto.

If you don't take Jobs' personal (= nearly nonexistent) but rather Apple's overall contribution to gaming - with iOS, the App Store and the like -, then I guess Apple does deserve a spot somewhere on such a list... but even then, they shouldn't be anywhere near the top.

Just taking products/features into account, at least the Atari 2600, NES, PlayStation (all three highly successful systems), the Wiimote (motion controls), Dreamcast's SegaNet and Xbox Live (mainstream console-based online services) - just to name some things that pioneered something into the mainstream or where extremely successful - should be around the top.

And as for actual people... well, I don't think Jobs deserves any spot on this list period, and neither do Berners-Lee or Zuckerberg, as they all didn't personally do anything to advance gaming in whatever way. People like Miyamoto (no need to list anything, right?) and Gunpei Yokoi (Game & Watch and Game Boy), or Will Wright (SimCity and other Sim games), Alexey Pajitnov (Tetris), John Carmack (Doom and similar 3D-ish games), and many, many others belong there. The other three? Not so much.

Those outside the gaming community are quite naive. And these bribed dogs in the media should stop glorifying the fraud.

If you want someone who made an impact, refer to Gabe Newell.

Smartphone games and iOS are the worst thing to happen to gaming! (Not to mention the removal of the button, making gameplay VERY difficult!)

If you don't take Jobs' personal (= nearly nonexistent) but rather Apple's overall contribution to gaming - with iOS, the App Store and the like -, then I guess Apple does deserve a spot somewhere on such a list... but even then, they shouldn't be anywhere near the top.

Just taking products/features into account, at least the Atari 2600, NES, PlayStation (all three highly successful systems), the Wiimote (motion controls), Dreamcast's SegaNet and Xbox Live (mainstream console-based online services) - just to name some things that pioneered something into the mainstream or where extremely successful - should be around the top.

And as for actual people... well, I don't think Jobs deserves any spot on this list period, and neither do Berners-Lee or Zuckerberg, as they all didn't personally do anything to advance gaming in whatever way. People like Miyamoto (no need to list anything, right?) and Gunpei Yokoi (Game & Watch and Game Boy), or Will Wright (SimCity and other Sim games), Alexey Pajitnov (Tetris), John Carmack (Doom and similar 3D-ish games), and many, many others belong there. The other three? Not so much.

No love for Ralph Baer (Invented the Video Game Console and the Light Gun) or Nolan Bushnell (Founder of Atari)? :<

It's most likely the advent and explosion of 'social' games that have grabbed all these people who would normally be non-gamers and put them in a large majority. Most of the games you can get for iOS or Android are either socially driven, or else very short, replayable affairs. Pocket versions of the original initial movers and shakers that started gaming. Only instead of being coin-op, they're a dollar or few forever.

No love for Ralph Baer (Invented the Video Game Console and the Light Gun) or Nolan Bushnell (Founder of Atari)? :<

Honestly, I forgot about them, but as I had mentioned, there's many many others besides the ones I could think of before. For example, pretty much everyone involved with the creation of the "games" on this list would qualify, I guess...

Someone said something about Steve not accomplishing much(too lazy to check who). Well, here's the deal:

Without him(and Wozniak), computers would be far different(and possibly for the worst) than they are now. I swear, people who think he

didn't do a thing, can go fuck a fence(and yes, I am a Windows and Android user, but I am not too smug to acknowledge what he and Wozniak did).

This post, of course, has nothing to do with the survey in the original post, as I believe it's bullshit. But as far as computers go, I thank whatever

supernatural being that may exist watching over us, every day that Steve and Wozniak got into the computer industry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.