Does Hacking really do more bad than good?

dekupk5

Video picks up at about 1:50

Do you guys thinks hacking does more bad than good? Their are the good type hackers and the bad type.

I know many of you would consider hacking a good thing, and beleive me I do to, but give a good reason of your opinion.

As for "hacking" in the context of "unauthorized access to other computer systems", it really depends on the hacker's reason to do it. As you said, there's good and bad types of hackers ("white hat" and "black hat", I believe), so if someone accesses a company network with the intention of communicating the security hole he used to the company - i.e. "hey guys, there's this hole that can be used to access your internal stuff, you'd better fix it and here's how" - then it's fine in my opinion, as they're showing the company a potential attack vector someone could use for less honorable acts. However, if someone's only there for data theft or wrecking havoc - i.e. "gonna go in there and get the user data to sell it on the black market, then take them offline for the time being..." - it's obviously a bad thing.

And as for "hacking" in the context that we do here, that is "ROM hacking", what's there to admonish or whatever? It tends to be similar to the modding of PC games, besides the fact that ex. Nintendo is very unlikely to ever (officially) approve of this, unlike Valve for example. That said, there have been instances where ROM hacks - or, to be exact, fan translations - have been acknowledged inofficially; not by a company as a whole, but individuals from them. For example, didn't Tomato say in interviews about the Mother 3 translation that he got congratulations, even invitations to go out and drink or somesuch, from people from the industry (maybe NoA's Treehouse even, I forgot)?

Yes, hacking is bad, if it involves people and negative intentions. What we do here has nothing to do with hacking corporations or people. Rom hacking is file hacking and exploring, not network hacking or exploiting. Aside from that hacking does much more bad than it does good unfortunately. The guy in the video, Gunns, he said at some point that hackers do great things for people, for games and for companies. But hackers also can negatively affect millions of people. Just look at how the PSN got hacked, that was bad and costed a lot of money, and over all was a nuisance. So yes to answer your question hacking does more bad than good.

The term "hack" is used far too ambiguously in this thread. I'm going to assume you mean network hacking which involves compromising a server's security and gaining unauthorized access to files. In this case, I think good generally comes out of it in the end--if no one hacked, security would be crap, but the documentation on potential exploit methods would probably still exist and be free for the taking. Ergo, hackers give network administrators a job, and damn good ones at that. It's not the best situation, I'll concede, but I think in the long run more good comes out of it.

As for "hacking" in the context of "unauthorized access to other computer systems", it really depends on the hacker's reason to do it. As you said, there's good and bad types of hackers ("white hat" and "black hat", I believe), so if someone accesses a company network with the intention of communicating the security hole he used to the company - i.e. "hey guys, there's this hole that can be used to access your internal stuff, you'd better fix it and here's how" - then it's fine in my opinion, as they're showing the company a potential attack vector someone could use for less honorable acts. However, if someone's only there for data theft or wrecking havoc - i.e. "gonna go in there and get the user data to sell it on the black market, then take them offline for the time being..." - it's obviously a bad thing.

And as for "hacking" in the context that we do here, that is "ROM hacking", what's there to admonish or whatever? It tends to be similar to the modding of PC games, besides the fact that ex. Nintendo is very unlikely to ever (officially) approve of this, unlike Valve for example. That said, there have been instances where ROM hacks - or, to be exact, fan translations - have been acknowledged inofficially; not by a company as a whole, but individuals from them. For example, didn't Tomato say in interviews about the Mother 3 translation that he got congratulations, even invitations to go out and drink or somesuch, from people from the industry (maybe NoA's Treehouse even, I forgot)?

You forgot Gray hat hackers!

**Grey hat hackers are in the middle, they hack a system, give the info to the company AND the interw3bs and watch the conflict (by the way graet lolz for any bystander :D)**

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.