Can Anyone Give Me A Tutorial On Texture Hacking?

Robin Guy

Question

22 answers to this question

An old guide, but still good. Bear in mind that the newb pack doesn't exist anymore, but if you're familiar with navigating folders in your computer, you should be able to handle setting up the plugin yourself with the vanilla emulator package of PJ64 (inb4 spinout yells at me). One deviation from the guide is that I recommend getting the latest version of 1964's plugin and using that instead of Rice, as it has much greater stability and some more features than the plugin included in that guide. The setup is still the same, however.

What Naxylldritt suggested is probably what you want to start out with, but if you want to actually hack the textures, you'll need a tool called ZLE2, but with that, you can't do super-cool things with Hi-Resolution textures.

Yeah, I was thinking of making my own textures, but what do you mean by "Super-cool things with high-res textures"?

Video plugins are capable of "replacing" textures in-game with Higher resolution images. The Super-cool things I was referring to, is the fact that you can get a better image with the Hi-res tetxures. But Video plugins don't actually "hack" as they don't do anything to the ROM. With ZAP2, you can "hack" the textures, but you have to keep them the same resolution as the original.

Oh, I've just figured out how I fixed ZAP2. Although it looks like you figured it out

I just redownloaded it and it worked out. Weird how I didn't remember a simple thing like that...

Oh right, my stupid short term memory loss :)

Do you have skype? I could give you a tutorial through skype.

Oh, I've just figured out how I fixed ZAP2. Although it looks like you figured it out :)

I just redownloaded it and it worked out. Weird how I didn't remember a simple thing like that...

Oh right, my stupid short term memory loss :)

Do you have skype? I could give you a tutorial through skype.

I do have skype, but I'd like a tutorial from a more "advanced" modder, if you know what I mean.

Basically, if you open the program zobj_texture_export.exe, you can enter Two offsets. A start and an End offset. Those textures will be dumped into the "Textures" folder included in ZLE2.

In the Textures folder there will be two file types with the same name. .PNG and .RAW.

Edit the PNG equivalent to your liking and save it.

Back in the main ZLE2 folder, run png2raw.exe (or bmp2raw if it was a .bmp you edited)

After it is finished, run texture_import.exe, then go back into your textures folder and run import.bat.

This is all you have to do.

Basically, if you open the program zobj_texture_export.exe, you can enter Two offsets. A start and an End offset. Those textures will be dumped into the "Textures" folder included in ZLE2.

In the Textures folder there will be two file types with the same name. .PNG and .RAW.

Edit the PNG equivalent to your liking and save it.

Back in the main ZLE2 folder, run png2raw.exe (or bmp2raw if it was a .bmp you edited)

After it is finished, run texture_import.exe, then go back into your textures folder and run import.bat.

This is all you have to do.

This may sound dumb, but ZLE2 and ZAP2 is the same thing, right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.