What does Nintendo use to make their games?

dekupk5

Im really curious what 3d modeling programs, computer language and ect Nintendo uses to make their games.

Its like its big secret to everybody and Nintendo doesn't want people to see what they do during production, they have no behind the scenes videos and their are many rumors that they use maya or 3d max.

Maya was, in fact, confirmed to be the program used to create at least one of the beta maps in Wind Waker. In fact, the model found in-game was a completely unmodified Maya model file native to the program.

My guess is that most major gaming companies likely use 3DS Max or Maya, as they are currently the most sophisticated modeling tools on the market. Some less financially-inclined companies may use Blender, as it is a reasonable substitute for the other two given its amazing price tag (free). Seeing as how I will be studying this extensively next year, I have a feeling I will probably be able to answer that much more definitively in the future.

In the N64 days, you had code in C, plus the SDK documentation talks about NIFF (Nintendo Intermediate File Format, apparently for 3D models, camera setup, animation, etc) and NuSystem (a C library to simplify usage of the N64 OS). No idea tho in what capacity or at what stage NIFF was involved - guess, as "Intermediate" implies, between modelling it in an external program like Maya and converting the data into a N64-compatible format.

In the N64 days, you had code in C, plus the SDK documentation talks about NIFF (Nintendo Intermediate File Format, apparently for 3D models, camera setup, animation, etc) and NuSystem (a C library to simplify usage of the N64 OS). No idea tho in what capacity or at what stage NIFF was involved - guess, as "Intermediate" implies, between modelling it in an external program like Maya and converting the data into a N64-compatible format.

As far I remember from reading the SDK, they used 3D Stuido Max Kinetix for a good portion of modeling during the N64 times, nowadays I'm pretty for sure its 3dsMax and Maya.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.