Vita's PSP Emulator Hacked (Hello World)

dekupk5

Hi, people. Don't get excited, it's not really hacked.

~Rainbow Dash

You heard right the Ps Vita has been.... HACKED.

Some group managed to get hello world running and will be able to get through the security.

Posted Image

I look forward to this as then I will be able to use homebrew to do anything I want.

"Hello World for PSP firmware 6.31" implies this is homebrew running in the Vita's PSP emulator, thus it doesn't look like a Vita-side exploit. If that's true, it probably allows PSP homebrew to run on the Vita but doesn't yet mean anything for Vita homebrew. If I remember correctly that's kinda like early Wii stuff, where GCN homebrew worked, which is locked out from all Wii-specific hardware.

wololo.net: Day-1 Hello World, the PS Vita already hacked?

First of all, the exploit happens within the PSP emulator on the Vita, and will not directly give access to the Vita hardware or features. So this can theoretically only allow to run PSP homebrews on the vita (which, to me, is already fairly nice), and also, only User-mode ones ( a game exploit does not give access to the PSP kernel mode, so some tools and functionality is missing, which prevents emulators such as Daedalusx64 for example to run at full speed).

[...]

As a conclusion there are lots of obstacles to turning this in a useful system for the end user, so as mamosuke states, this is not even step1 for the Vita hacking.

I left a message in the original post(and changed the topic title), as that is very misleading.

I basically did it because I know the pain all too well of stumbling upon topics with misleading titles. But yes, I hope it does get hacked eventually.

You could have changed it to, "Ps Vita emulator has been hacked" but thanks anyway. :)

OFF TOPIC:

That title makes it seem there is an emulator for PS Vita games, that got hacked. Or something.

And yes, back on topic:

I will, at whatever point I own a Vita, try running a signed GPSP homebrew to see if they fixed the whole thing with the leaked KIRK keys. I hope they didn't, though I am not sure because I saw no mention of it.

Even if its just the psp part of it that got hacked, the vita has more processing power so wouldn't it be possible for faster homebrew emulation speeds?

Nope, as presumably the system gets downclocked to PSP-level speeds. Otherwise you'd start to get timing and framerate issues with official PSP games (potentially).

The emulator could technically ignore/override the game's instructions to set the CPU speed, which is selectable in steps between 1(?) and 333 MHz on a PSP, and just force it to run on 333 MHz. CFW does allow manual speed selection for the XMB, games and I think the PSX emulator individually, and I haven't personally seen any glitches or somesuch on 333 MHz. Of course, if you ex. set the XMB to ex. 50 MHz, you'll get a very very laggy menu system :)

The emulator could technically ignore/override the game's instructions to set the CPU speed, which is selectable in steps between 1(?) and 333 MHz on a PSP, and just force it to run on 333 MHz. CFW does allow manual speed selection for the XMB, games and I think the PSX emulator individually, and I haven't personally seen any glitches or somesuch on 333 MHz. Of course, if you ex. set the XMB to ex. 50 MHz, you'll get a very very laggy menu system :)

CFW does, however, most games either select 233Mhz or 333Mhz, if they even select it at all. I think younglinkx was referring to was going past the 333Mhz point - which thinking about it is probably feasible however you'd presumably need user-level (at least) access to the Vita... at which point you may as well use the Vita haha,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.